What are you reading? (December 2006)

Moderator: Malanee

Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

What are you reading? (December 2006)

Post by Lady Bug »

I cannot believe it's December! :crystal

I'm reading a great book called The Wedding by Dorothy West. It was made into a tv movie by Oprah a few years back. I caught part of the movie over the Thanksgiving holiday and decided to read the book. It's very good!

What about you?
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

Well I will be reading the Black Dahlia some day
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

Some day Anna? LOL

I'm reading "The Picture of Dorian Gray" by Oscar Wilde, and "The Jane Austen Book Club" by Karen Joy Fowler.
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

:cookie
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

I need to open it up and start it, but I will be done by the end of December.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I just finished "Cause Celeb" by Helen Fielding (author of Bridget Jones' Diary). It was good. Not great, but good.

I'm hoping to go to the library after work and get a library card and something to read! The library is on my way home from work, when I walk, how cool is that?
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

Spudd that is way cool!

I am starting Good Grief by Lolly Winston. A Blush-approved book. I went to the library the other day with a list of Blush books and this was the only one they had.

I also have Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister by Gregory Maguire on my list. Its a twist on the Cinderella story told in the view of one of the stepsisters - its supposed to be great.
chickenlittle
Poster Extraordinaire

Post by chickenlittle »

I'm currently reading Developing the Leader Within You by John C. Maxwell. I'm really enjoying it... and it's helping to give me the necessary attitude readjustment and confidence to transition from being Beth's bitch to being a (hopefully) valuable and respected doctor at the new clinic!

Before that, I read Primary Colors. Not sure what's up next.
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

Rowan wrote: I also have Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister by Gregory Maguire on my list. Its a twist on the Cinderella story told in the view of one of the stepsisters - its supposed to be great.
It is! :awesome
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

I just got a book from the library called "Crafty TV Writing" that I'm looking forward to. :hyper

Also, picked up "Waiting for Godot" because I'm ashamed to say I've never read the whole thing.

Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I've finished Leviathan by Paul Auster and started Moon Palace by the same author. Leviathan had its flaws, but it was still good. Anyone read any of his books? This will be my third.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I just finished Milk Glass Moon by Adriana Trigiani. It's part of a series and I like her characters.

Silvia, I picked up Leviathan when you first mentioned it, but I haven't read it yet. There's one more that's due at the library before that one--One Mississippi by Mark Childress. I have no idea what to expect.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I just finished listening to Pride & Prejudice. I loved it! It made me laugh out loud several times. And oh, the suspense!

I just finished reading "The Alien Chronicles: The Golden One", which is part 1 of a 3-part series. DH convinced me to read it because I had nothing to read. It was OK, not great, but it ended with a cliffhanger so I now have to read part 2.
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

Spudd wrote:I just finished listening to Pride & Prejudice. I loved it! It made me laugh out loud several times. And oh, the suspense!
That makes my heart all warm and gooey... :winterkiss Now to convert the rest of you to Austen!

Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Post by Lady Bug »

I have tried reading that book three times . . . I just can't do it! I want to, but I can't! :nervous
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

But have you at least watched the Colin Firth BBC version? :drool

Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Austen is so much better on audiobook.

I was listening to Emma on audiobook one time, and then I went on vacation when I was nearing the end. I didn't bring the audiobook on vacation, but I was dying to know how it ended. The cruise ship we were on happened to have a copy in their library so I picked it up and tried to read it. Even though I'd been loving it on audiobook, I found it sooo dry on paper.
Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Post by Lady Bug »

Crystal Meth wrote:But have you at least watched the Colin Firth BBC version? :drool
Not yet! I want to, though - it's in my netflix queue . . . .
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Emma might be my next book. We'll see.

Pride and Prejudice is soooo good! But I didn't like the other 2 I read by her very much (Northanger Abbey and Persuasion). I did love the movie Emma (though I don't remember anything), so I think I'll like this one better.

Blush, definitely give Paul Auster a try. He's weird, but in such a good way! I'm now almost done with Moon Palace, and I might go back to the store tomorrow to buy another couple of his novels for the trip.

So I'm in a Austen vs. Auster dilemma :giggle
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

Spudd wrote:Even though I'd been loving it on audiobook, I found it sooo dry on paper.
See, and I find it so much richer on paper! I'd be afraid a bad actor would ruin her on audiobook.

And Spudd, if you'd ever seen "Clueless", you already knew how it ended. :giggle