What are you reading? (February '07)

Moderator: Malanee

Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

What are you reading? (February '07)

Post by Crystal Meth »

I win! :yay

I just read a short liitle book called The Middle Stories, it was very good, very CanLit.

Now, I'm reading Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood and still working on Anna Karenina - that one will take a while. :lol
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

:cookie
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I gave up on The Twins of Tribeca and started A Tale of Two Sisters by Anna Maxted. So far I've chuckled a couple of times already. It's british chicklit, but not TOO light.

Still listening to Mindless Eating. Still highly recommend it.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finally finished that damn Alien Chronicles trilogy, and now I'm reading a John Grisham - The Testament. I'm only one chapter in, so it's too early to say whether it's good.

Listening to Discworld, by Terry Pratchett, on my commute. I'm not a huge fan, to be honest. The whole absurd fantasy thing isn't really my bag.
Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Re: What are you reading? (February '07)

Post by Lady Bug »

Crystal Meth wrote:I win! :yay
:grumble

You beat me to it!

I am still reading Be Happy at Work. I am also reading Making ADD Work, which is a guidebook for how to function with ADD in the workplace.

(Now that I'm in "transition" I'm going to be reading far more self-help books than usual.)
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

Speaking of self-help LB, please don't call me a meanie or your sister or whatever LOL, but I found the "Quarterlife Crisis" in a drawer and as I was flipping through and rereading old passages, I was quite literally going: "Hey, that's LB!" "LB says that!" "She says that too!"

Anyway, yeah... it closely echos things you say. I have no further point. :winterkiss
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Post by Lady Bug »

Crystal Meth wrote:Speaking of self-help LB, please don't call me a meanie or your sister or whatever LOL, but I found the "Quarterlife Crisis" in a drawer and as I was flipping through and rereading old passages, I was quite literally going: "Hey, that's LB!" "LB says that!" "She says that too!"

Anyway, yeah... it closely echos things you say. I have no further point. :winterkiss
I am literally ROFL overhere. That's so funny! I will definitely have to check that out. And, no, you're not being a meanie -- that's helpful!
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I'm reading The Dante Club. It started off a little slow, but it's definitely picking up!
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

Silvia I think I've read that, or at least tried to read it.

When your'e done remind me what its about.

I'm reading a Jodi Picoult book right now
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Ok, "tried to read it" doesn't sound so good :lol It's set in Boston in 1865. It's a group of poets who are translating and trying to get Dante Alighieris' Divine Comedy published in the US while murders are being committed apparently based on Dante's Inferno. But so far no one except the poets knows that the murders are inspired on Dante. It's a good idea, but a little slow for my taste.
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

Oh yeah I had to quit reading that book. My friend tried to read it too but it was too gruesome for her.
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

No computer at home means Crystal is reading a lot more! I blew through:

Citizen Girl - Ummm...wtf? This book was bad, bad, bad
The War of Art - Really good. Reminds me of "Writing Down the Bones"
The Continuity Girl - I'm halfway through and I might stop reading it. Blahblahblahbabyfeverblah... which isn't necessarily bad, but I was misled, I thought the book would be about life on a film set.

Also? Everybody read Anna Karenina. It's really good.

Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Crystal, I'll never forgive whoever told me what happens in Anna Karenina. And I'll obviously never forget it either :cuss I think it was someone on chicklit, actually. Ok, it's a classic, but that doesn't mean the rest of the universe knows how it ends! :cuss

Anna, yeah, the descriptions are gruesome, but they don't bother me. It's fiction :dunno
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

I know, the ending was spoiled for me too, so I went and read it first... :lol

Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

Sylvia, I quit reading b/c it was boring me to tears, my friend quite reading b/c of the content :)
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Lol, yeah, the beginning is quite boring. It does get better, though.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I just finished Whitethorn Woods by Maeve Binchy. I'm so glad she returned to setting a book in Ireland, it seems more natural for her.

I'm reading Size 12 is not fat by Meg Cabot, and although I'm only a couple of chapters in I am really annoyed by a mistake I caught. In the first few pages the main character remarks to herself that it's lovely to be shopping on a Saturday afternoon. Then an hour later she says it's not even noon yet. Grr. I'm annoyed enough that I might stop reading, actually.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Blush, I'm reading Whitethorn Woods too! So far, I'm kind of annoyed by it, though. Is the whole entire book just little vignettes about different characters? I want to get to know the characters and have things happen, not just start to like them and then have to get to know another character.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Spudd, it is all like that, and I was annoyed at first too. There's a reason I don't read short stories! But it all sort of gets tied up in the end, and in some of the vignettes you learn more about a previously mentioned character. It's all kind of intertwined. It's not my fave Maeve Binchy, but it's better than the last couple.