It's March! Whatcha readin?

Moderator: Malanee

Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

It's March! Whatcha readin?

Post by Lady Bug »

:neener

I am reading The Richer, The Poorer, a collection of short stories by Dorothy West. I love it!

What about you?
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I'm reading Whitethorn Woods, by Maeve Binchy. I'm not a big fan, I gotta say. I generally like her books but this one is getting on my nerves.

On audiobook I'm listening to Angela's Ashes. So far I'm enjoying it, although it is rather depressing.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I'm reading The Lake of Dead Languages by Carol Goodman. So far I like it, but I'm only on page 40. Has anyone read it? I'd never heard of it, but three things attracted me to it at the store: its title, the comparison to Donna Tartt's Secret History, and the fact that the main character is a Latin teacher. I must confess, I'm a sucker for novels whose characters work with languages. The main character in the book I just finished was a translator.

Spudd, I've read about 5 books by Maeve Binchy. The first 3 were fun. Light and fluffy, but fun. Then I thought I'd had enough. WAAY too much sugar! Also, let me know what you think of Angela's Ashes. I tried to watch the movie, but after the third child died in less than 30 minutes, I gave it up! Let me know how depressing it is. If it's anything like A Fine Balance, forget it!
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I'm reading Case Histories by Kate Atkinson. It's a crime novel, set in the UK, but it feels different from a normal crime novel; she really paints the characters well (I actually care about them) and it's not dry. So far the first two chapters have been about 2 entirely different sets of characters, set in different times, and I think the third chapter will follow suit but they will eventually tie in together.

I gave up on Size 12 is not fat because it grated on my nerves. I also tried reading Footloose by Leanne Banks. Here's the description:
Think working for a leading international shoe company sounds like a dream job? Not if you''re Amelia Parker, an overworked, downtrodden temp working for Bellagio, Inc.''s grande dame, Lillian Bellagio. But things are looking up for Amelia. She''s just been given the assignment of accompanying Ms. Bellagio to her estate in the Keys. Trading pumps for flip-flops and a cell phone for a conch shell--could be worse, right?

Especially when life on the island includes her very own mystery man--one Jack "The Shark" O''Connell, dashing venture capitalist. He dares Amelia to use this time to do something wild: drink a hurricane, go skinny-dipping…have an affair with a dangerously attractive man. Now Amelia will have to decide whether to step into that glass slipper.

I gave up after 4 pages. Absolute dreck.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Blush, that sounds like a Harlequin Romance!
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

Blush - ew, even that synopsis turned me off.

I just started "Everyone Worth Knowing" or whatever it's called - from "The Devil Wears Prada" chick. I have "Letters to a Young Poet" by Rainer Maria Rilke lined up next.
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

:cookie
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Yeah, I didn't read the synopsis before I got it from the library. Every month they list new books and I just go on a rampage checking them off to be put on hold. I think from now on I will cross reference with Chapters.
Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Post by Lady Bug »

Crystal Meth wrote:
I just started "Everyone Worth Knowing" or whatever it's called - from "The Devil Wears Prada" chick.
Wha??? Crystal reading best-seller, fluff, pulp fiction????

*faint*

But seriously, how is that? I heard that "The Devil Wears Prada" is actually a rather crappy book.
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

Lady Bug wrote: Wha??? Crystal reading best-seller, fluff, pulp fiction????

*faint*
I've told you before, chicklit is as low as I go. Do not even mention Harlequin romances or Dean Koontz in my presence. :giggle

<--- book snob
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

I went to the library for some more books to eat. :eat

Picked up "Ella Minnow Pea" and "Without You" - a biography from one of the original cast members of Rent. :hyper

Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finished "Whitethorn Woods", finally. It was terrible. At the end she did start bringing back some of the characters from earlier, but I couldn't remember who they were, because she'd introduced like eleventy-hundred characters since then and it was 200 pages ago. Bah.

I'm now reading "The Witching Hour" by Anne Rice. DH picked it up for me at Value Village so I figured I might as well read it. I feel I might have read it years ago as a teenager, but I can't remember anything about it, it just has that familiar feeling. So far it's all right, but the chapters are SO long. I hate too long chapters. The chapter I'm currently in is 50 pages, which doesn't make for very good "I'll read one chapter then go to sleep" reading.

Still listening to "Angela's Ashes". It's okay.
Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Post by Lady Bug »

I just started Barack Obama's memoir, Dream From My Father. I'm only a few pages in but so far its very good. I *heart* him! :love
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I just finished A Place Called Here by Ceceila Ahern. Her stuff is light but not too fluffy.

I'm now reading The Booster by Jennifer Solow. I'm loving her style. It's modern and a bit edgy.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I'm reading Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter by Mario Vargas Llosa. I love it, but I haven't been able to read much fiction lately with all the reading I've been doing for my course. I'm really, really enjoying it. I just wish I had time to read everything, dammit!
Malanee
Challenging Vagina

Post by Malanee »

I read so many on vacation I can hardly remember them all. Here are the ones that stand out:

Vanishing Acts: A Novel by Jodi Picoult
The Polished Hoe: A Novel by Austin Clark
Lost Boys by Orson Scott Card
Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk

Also, two James Patterson books and a Harlan Corben mystery.
Happiness is an inside job.