The Blind Assassin - Question/Spoiler

Moderator: Malanee

Sílvia
Trophy Wife

The Blind Assassin - Question/Spoiler

Post by Sílvia »

So... I'm a little slow, but tell me: did Laura have an affair with Alex too, or was it just platonic? :headscratch I'm still confused. It was pretty obvious that the woman in the novel was Iris, but I got lost about Laura. Also, she accepted to practically be raped by Richard numerous times just to theoretically save Alex? Really? I liked the book, but I would have liked it better if the two of them had developed some sort of a backbone somewhere along the line. The evil SIL decides to take her daughter and she accepts it because she would lose the battle anyway? Really??
Spudd
TH Master

Re: The Blind Assassin - Question/Spoiler

Post by Spudd »

Silvia, you're not alone. I was totally confused by the end.

I assumed for most of the book that Laura was the one having the affair with Alex, but then like 3/4 of the way through I started to suspect it was Iris, and I was right. Once I found out it was her I started to suspect she wrote the book too, and again, correct. So those parts I'm clear on. :lol

I didn't really understand how Iris knew that Laura was raped by Richard, I saw the little "checklist" but it didn't say anything about rape so how did she know that?? And what did that have to do with saving Alex? I think I'm even more clueless than you, Silvia.

I also agree about the part where Winifred took her daughter. Like, why?? I really couldn't grasp the concept of it. She's her mother, surely she would win a court battle about it.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I didn't really understand how Iris knew that Laura was raped by Richard, I saw the little "checklist" but it didn't say anything about rape so how did she know that?? And what did that have to do with saving Alex? I think I'm even more clueless than you, Silvia.
I think she just assumed based on other evidence (Laura being disgusted by him, leaving the room whenever he entered, etc.). But yeah, when she first found the notebook I was like "so what? What does that prove?".

Laura was "saving" Alex because Richard wouldn't turn him in to the authorities if she had sex with him. At least that's what I understood!
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

That went right over my head. :lol

I finished the book and I was just kinda like "huh, OK". I feel like I missed crucial points.