It's November! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Blush
TH Master

Re: It's November! What are you reading?

Post by Blush »

I finished Suddenly by Bonnie Burnard and I LOVED it. Just really good insights, and the characters weren't perfect. I love flawed characters.

Now I'm reading Best Friends Forever by Jennifer Weiner. We shall see. So far it's ok.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I gave up on The Childrens Story - could not get into it.

I picked up The 19th Wife by Dave Eforgettherestofhisname and The Castle in the Forest by Norman Mailer. I started 19th Wife last night - it's good so far.
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

Read The city of Ember yesterday b/c it was the book club selection, it was pretty good and now I'd like to read the sequel..

The new book club selection is called Rules about a girl dealing with her brother who has autism

I'd like to read Dan Brown's new book, I may ask for it for Xmas
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I finally finished that Oliver Sacks book last week sometime. I was kind of disappointed in it (a lot, actually), because I'd just start to get interested in a case that was discussed when the section would stop and he'd go onto the next patient. I wanted to know more about some of them!

fwiw, I also find that this is what bugs me about short story collections. I'm always like, "But I was enjoying that story! Why'd it stop so soon?" :shrug

I also got the second Sookie book ("Living Dead in Dallas") and finished that today. I was in the mood for some lighter reading, and it sure fit the bill. I sped right through it and enjoyed this one much more than the first.

Not sure what I'll be digging into next.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Bugsy that is why I can't read short stories....that drives me crazy.

And I got much more into the Sookie books as I went along. Jeff got me the box set of the first 6 or 7 books and the first two I was kinda of "eh" over but starting really getting into the characters as I went along.
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

Finished Rules which was the next book club selection for Jon's school. I might get the sequel to City of Ember next.. I also want to read Dan Brown's next book
Rachael
My bee is in the hive

Post by Rachael »

So Mellen... Bill or Eric?

Eric for me.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Definitely Team Eric! Love his character!
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Careful not to say anything that could be a spoiler! :nono I'm probably going to sort of take my time with that series, just because they're light reads that make good "in-between" type books. Also, I'm getting them from the library, and there are big hold lists for all of them.

I started "The Diviners" by Margaret Laurence last night and am already sucked in. I really really enjoy her books. We had to read "The Stone Angel" in school last fall semester, and since finishing that one I've read three others by her (this current one is the 4th). They're all the ones revolving around the fictional town of Manawaka, Manitoba; once I'm through with this one I'll have to get into some of her other works.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I just finished Best Friends Forever by Jennifer Weiner and it was not as good as her first books. I ended up just skimming the last 1/4 because I just wanted it to be over.

I've started Fall by Colin McAdam. It was up for the Giller. We'll see. I'm only a few pages in.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I'm reading Scarlet Feather by Maeve Binchy and OMG, it's bad. I mean, she's usually trashy, but some of her books are good trashy, like Tara Road and The Glass Lake. This one's boring. So I got The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls, and have been reading both, but mostly the latter. The former I just pick up for a few pages every night to see if it got any better. No luck so far. But The Glass Castle is amazing! Anyone read it?
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Silvia, my dental hygienist just told me about The Glass Castle. I have added it to my list!
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I just started "The Unlikely Disciple" based on Blush's recommendation. I'm still in the middle of the last Dark Tower book, but I got the other one from the library so it jumps the queue. So far I'm enjoying it.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finished up The 19th Wife. It was decent but I feel like the author didn't quite tie everything together at the end.

4 of my requested books at the library all became available at the same time! So I'm going to be reading:

Julie & Julia 365 days, 524 recipes and 1 tiny apartment kitchen by Julie Powell - this is what the movie (or vice versa?) was based on. I started it last night - it's fun and light.

Her Fearful Symmetry by Audry Niffenegger

Last Words - George Carlin

My Horizontal Life - Chelsea Handler
Rachael
My bee is in the hive

Post by Rachael »

I just finished "The 13 and 1/2 Lives of Captian Blue Bear" by by Walter Moers and HATED it. I made myself finish it (700 pages) because my boss lent it to me, telling me she just knew I was going to love it.
Next up is "Home Safe" by Elizabeth Berg, a book another cowoker lent me saying she tought I would like.
Rachael
My bee is in the hive

Post by Rachael »

I just finished "Home Safe" by Elizabeth Berg and loved her writing.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Rach, I really like Elizabeth Berg.

I finished Fall by Colin McAdam and really enjoyed it. There were a few chapters where it was just the random thoughts of some of the characters and at first it was a bit off putting but then I appreciated it. Either he has a great memory of what it was like to be a teenager or...I don't know what.

I started "Twenties Girl" by Sophie Kinsella yesterday but couldn't get past the first chapter. I took it back to the library. Now I'm reading "Pretty in Plaid" by Jen Lancaster. I love her.
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

Mellen, I felt the same about The 19th Wife. It was okay, but unsatisfying somehow.

Crystal, I think you'll really like People of the Book when you get a chance to read it.