It's February! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Blush
TH Master

It's February! What are you reading?

Post by Blush »

I tried and put down two books in the past few days. One was "The Devil's Punchbowl" by Greg Iles. I normally like his stuff once in a while--kind of early Grisham but with a bit of extra gore. But as soon as this one started talking about dog-fighting I couldn't take it.

Next was "Dream when you're feeling blue" by Elizabeth Berg. It's set in WWII in Chicago and based around sisters waiting for their boyfriends to get back from the war. I didn't like the girls; they seemed insipid, and the 40s slang seemed forced into the dialogue.

Now I'm on Malcolm Gladwell's "What the Dog Saw and other adventure stories". It's awesome. I love Malcolm Gladwell.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Re: It's February! What are you reading?

Post by Bugsy »

I just started "Reading Lolita in Tehran" by Azar Nafisi. So far it seems quite good, but I'm not very far into it.
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

Family book club book is called "The Last Book on Earth" so I'll be reading that
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I'm in the middle of "Game Change" by John Heilemann and Mark Halperin. It's sort of gossipy but in a good way. I really like it.

I also read "The Hockey Dad Chronicles: An Indentured Parent's Season on the Rink" by Ed Wenk. Very fun and light. A lot of it made me laugh because it so closely mirrored my brothers hockey career and I had been to a bunch of the rinks he talks about in the book.

I also saw that the 3rd Hunger Games book "Mockingjay" by Suzanne Collins will be out August 24th. I'm excited.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Reading the last one in Stieg Larsson's trilogy. Sniff :(.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished the Malcolm Gladwell collection and loved it. He is awesome.

Now I'm reading The Brightest Star in the Sky by Marian Keyes. She's taken a turn toward lighthearted, supernatural writing. It doesn't grab me like some of her earlier stuff but it still beats a kick in the pants.
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

Just finished While My Sister Sleeps by Barbara Delinksy, I really liked it.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Ok, I should never speak harshly of Marian Keyes. I would love to go to dinner with her; she must be a lot of fun. Loved the book.

The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite
by David A. Kessler (although on my copy it says "the Insatiable North American Appetite, because apparently he got funding from the Canadian Government to print it...

So far...fascinating.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finished Game Change - LOVED IT. The last part of the book regarding McCain and Palin was extremely interesting.

Right now I'm almost done with the new Dan Brown book - The Lost Symbol. It's ok - I like the basis of the book but his writing irritates me.
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

After reading all the rave reviews here of The Hunger Games, I decided I'd give it a try. I finished it a little while ago, and, wow! What an amazing book! I've already ordered Catching Fire, and I'm so glad I won't have to wait too many months until the third book comes out.

Now back to The Other Boleyn Girl ...
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Glad you liked "The Hunger Games," Beverly! I really loved it--great story, interesting characters, suspenseful...good stuff.

I finished "Reading Lolita in Tehran" by Azar Nafisi this morning. Although I have neither read most of the books she discusses in her memoir nor know much about Iran's history, I really enjoyed this. I'd definitely recommend it.

Tonight I just started the 4th Sookie book: "Dead to the World." After "Reading Lolita," I need some fluff. :)
Malanee
Challenging Vagina

Post by Malanee »

I've read a ton of books this month. Here are three that I remember:

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein - great sci fi
Down River - John Hart - really good mystery/thriller
The Midnight Club - James Patterson - decent mystery/thriller

I'm in the middle of The Last Time I Wore a Dress by Daphne Scholinski - memoir on her stays in mental hospitals as a teenager.
Happiness is an inside job.