February - what are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

February - what are you reading?

Post by Rowan »

I have The Neighbors are Watching next on the pile. Not sure if I'll get to it before its due back at the library.

My reading has suffered due to Netflix streaming - I'm addicted!
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Re: February - what are you reading?

Post by mellenhead »

I finished The Weird Sisters , Rowan. I LOVED it. Loved the characters and writing. I'm sad I finished it.

Not sure what I'm going to read next. I have a bunch of stuff from the library, I need to flip through and see what I'm in the mood for.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Yay! Mellen, I'm so glad it was good. Now I can harrass the library into getting it. I wish I could get put on the book picking committee there.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

It's definitely a must read. I think I'm lucky that Pittsburgh (well, Allegheny County) has such an amazing library system.

I'm anxiously awaiting getting Swamplandia by Karen Russell. I keep hoping that hold will come up soon, even though it just came out.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Last night I started "The Stuff that never happened" by Maddie Dawson. It was recommended to me by my co-worker and so far it's good. It's about a married woman's relationship to her old flame (I think it's just her memories; I don't think there's an affair).
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I'm still working on "The Pillars of the Earth". It's a real page-turner, I'm really enjoying it so far.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I'm reading "What to Eat: An Aisle-by Aisle Guide to Savvy Food Choices and Good Eating" by Marion Nestle. I don't remember how I stumbled across her, but she apparently writes about food politics and food-related issues. Her twitter feed is pretty cool, and this book is really interesting so far. Loving it!

And my friend Tia loaned me "Room." I think I'm going to start that this afternoon.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Bugsy, I loved Room. Definitely one of my favorites from last year - hope you like it.

I finished The Neighbors are Watching and thought it was really good. Definitely a quick read as I started and finished it last night although I was up to midnight because I needed to finish it.

Not sure what's next on the pile....thankfully I have a load a books as we're pretty much iced in at this point.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I just picked up Room from the library. I only get it for two weeks though as it's a bestseller. I still want to finish my other book first though; it's really good!
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Room is an easy read, Blush. You'll speed through it.
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

Just finished Blood Orange by Drusilla Campbell it was good. Not sure what I'll do next. I may go to the library tomorrow. I plan to Dr.Beck's diet solution here soon.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Yep, "Room" was quite good. Strangely, I liked the first half of the book more than the second. Thanks for the recommendation, guys (I forget who first mentioned it, but I know it was in this forum that I heard about it).
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Bugsy, the second half just seemed so realistic and depressing. That was one of those books I couldn't put down.

I read Caribou Island by David Vann. I liked it overall, and the writing was different. However, I was more interested in the story of the secondary characters than the main characters....and the author only tied up the story of the main couple. I wish the book was another few chapters.

Next up is The Diviner's Tale by Bradford Morrow.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Ok, I started Room last night, and while I find it intriguing, it is grossing me out that a five year old is still breastfeeding. I realize extenuating circumstances etc etc but EW. I found myself laying facedown on the bed.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Ew, that is kind of gross. I read the first 3-4 pages at the store the other day, and it seems interesting enough, but they didn't have it in paperback yet.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I forgot to write that I really did love "The Stuff that Never Happened" by Maddie Dawson. It was thought provoking and well-written.

Yesterday I read from page 80 to the end of Room. I cheered after the first half of the book. I knew that the second half couldn't be all roses and rainbows, but it was interesting. I was glad the breastfeeding ended; I had to just skip over those parts. I am just too squeamish, probably. I also found it interesting that the author chose to set the book in the States. Maybe she was trying to gain a more international audience and not be pigeon-holed into "CanLit"? I don't know.

ETA When I went to bed last night I started reading "Call me Russell", the autobiography of comedian Russell Peters. Nice change!
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

The breastfeeding did kind of weird me out too, but then I figured that since they were just stuck in the room it seemed a little more natural. Plus, I went to high school with a girl who had a much younger brother (like he was born when we were freshman or so), and her mom breastfed that kid until he was almost five. Now THAT was weird as hell to learn about.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finished The Diviner's Tale by Bradford Morrow. I really enjoyed it. It was more of a mystery type book than I thought but a good story overall with great characters.

Next up is Swamplandia. I just got the notice that it's on the hold shelf so I am going over at lunch to pick it up. I have been exited about this book for months so I hope it's good.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished the Russell Peters autobiography. It was interesting but he should stick to comedy and not writing.

Now I'm reading the newest Anita Shreve; I can't remember the name of it.
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

I'm still working on This Body of Death by Elizabeth George. It's good, but I'm not finding a lot of time to read right now.

I ordered Room to add to my to-read stack.