September already! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Blush
TH Master

September already! What are you reading?

Post by Blush »

I am about a third of the way into "The Continuity Girl" by Leah McLaren. It's good so far.
Spudd
TH Master

Re: September already! What are you reading?

Post by Spudd »

I just finished "My Booky Wook" by Russell Brand. It was an interesting read, but he kept referring to British pop culture things that I had no idea about.

I'm in the middle of "3,096 Days" by Natascha someone. It's the true story of when she was kidnapped and held hostage for 3096 days (in Austria). It's honestly kind of boring, but I'm going to finish it anyways, just to see what else happens.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

In the Garden of Beasts: love, terror and an American family in Hitler's Berlin by Erik Larson - Excellent book. Such a good read I kept forgetting it was actually a nonfiction account.

Next up is either The Leftovers by Tom Perrotta or The Family Fang by Kevin Wilson.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished The Continuity Girl. It got a little...busy in the middle but it was still good.

Now I'm reading Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes. Also I have "Next" a novel by James Hynes.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Ugh, apparently I'm not the only one with bad luck this month reading-wise. This thread is so short!

I read A Painted House by John Grisham, not about/with lawyers and it was boring. Not much of a plot.

Now I'm reading (and ready to give up on) No Graves as Yet by Anne Perry, the first in a series about WW1. And guess what? It's boooooring! I'm halfway through and except for two major events, which you know of just from reading the blurb (blurb? is that it?) NOTHING has happened. I can't take it anymore, I'm giving it 5 more pages.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I keep forgetting to post in here. I've actually read quite a few books this month.

3,096 Days, by Natascha Kampusch - boring and not worth it.
Adventures: The Chronicles of Lucifer Jones Volume 1, by Mike Resnick - Kind of funny, but too long-winded and too many similar plots.
Still Alice, by Lisa Genova - This book was amazing. I loved it. Kind of depressing though.
The Accidental Time Machine, by Joe Haldeman - Very entertaining science fiction. Really enjoyed this one.

In progress right now, Ubik by Philip K. Dick. So far, it's OK, but I'm not that into it yet. We'll see if it picks up.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Holy crap! I was looking for a summary of No Graves as Yet on wikipedia, since I skipped 150 pages to get to the end, and I found out the author is a murderer! Check it out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_Perry
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

Isn't that insane? I remember when the story broke when I was in college, and I was shocked since I was already a fan of hers.

The movie "Heavenly Creatures" is about the crime. It's a good movie about a weird, horrifying story ... I think she's a good writer, though. I really like the Thomas Pitt series (set in Victorian England).
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

I finished The Red Garden by Alice Hoffman, Very good, as usual.

Now I'm working sort of half-heartedly on Rockabye: from Wild to Child by Rebecca Woolf. She's got the blog Girl's Gone Child, which I love, and the book is also good. It would be a quick read if I could get the time to put into it.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I have started a few books and didn't finish them. One was "Next" by James Hynes (hated the main character) and "All he ever wanted" by Anita Shreve (ditto).

Now I'm reading What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty. I'm 4 chapters in and loving it.