October! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

October! What are you reading?

Post by Rowan »

So after trying to get interested in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo at least 3 separate times I took it on the plane to Germany with me. I'm finally into it enough (took about 50 pgs) and I'm really enjoying it. I know that I'm pretty much the last human on the planet that hasn't read it but I'm glad I'm finally getting around to it. I did that with Kite Runner a few years back and was glad that I forced myself to read it because I did love it.

I'm coming to grips that this is going to be a low year in terms of books read. I'm trying to not get too down on myself as I've done some other things this year in lieu of reading. Plus...homework is ridiculous for a first grader (60-90min/night). Yikes!
Spudd
TH Master

Re: October! What are you reading?

Post by Spudd »

On the weekend I finished "Ubik" by Philip K. Dick. Weird book. I enjoyed it, but not sure I'd recommend it.

Now I started reading "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khalid Hosseini (sp?). So far, really good.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Oooh! I really liked A Thousand Splendid Suns. Hope you enjoy it Spudd!
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Me too Spudd, but we already know we have similar tastes ;)

I'm reading The Confession by John Grisham. The plot is not terribly original (black boy goes to jail and is sentenced to death for a crime he didn't commit; his lawyer and a bunch of other people are trying to avoid his execution; small town divided into very angry black people who are sure he's innocent versus very angry white people who want to avenge the victim's death), but I don't care, I'm fin ding it pretty much unputdownable.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished "What Alice Forgot" by Liane Moriarty last night. I would recommend it.

Now I have a book by Jojo Moyes; something about Australian war brides. I seem to be having an Australian month.

Also in book news, R found an application that will display epub files on my PlayBook. (It came with a kindle but it won't sync with the library files for some reason, even though I can get them on my phone). I'm so excited! Vacations are going to be even better!
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Rowan, I still haven't read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I tried a few times but just couldn't get into it. People look at me like :shock: when I say I haven't read it. :lol

The Leftovers - by Tom Perrotta. Definitely would recommend it. Funny and sad at the same time.

I'm about a 1/4 of the way into The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern - It's very good. I can't wait to get a few more chapters in, it is just picking up steam.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I've recently read a couple of the Sookie Stackhouse books; they were what I expected them to be. Easy, light reads.

I also just finished listening to The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls on audio book. It was excellent, and I just reserved the audio book of Half-Broke Horses, which is by the same author.

Started I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb a week or so ago. It's great so far, but it's long and will take me a while to get through.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Bugsy, I thought The Glass Castle was pretty good, if a bit too depressing. And a little unbelievable. I also loved I Know this Much is True! My only criticism is kind of a spoiler, so I'll save it for when you're done ;).

I'm still working on The Confession, should finish it tonight. It's very good.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern - Excellent! It's about magic but not in a weird witches/vampires sort of way. I loved the characters and the ending.

The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach - Loved it. I actually couldn't put it down.

I need to wander over to the library at lunch. None of the books on my hold list are in so I need to go wander around and find something to read for this weekend.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finished "A Thousand Splendid Suns" and really enjoyed it. Would recommend it.

Then I read "The Two Minute Rule" by Robert Crais. It was a fun little thriller.

Now, I'm reading "I'd Know You Anywhere" by Laura Lippman. Enjoying that as well. It's been a good streak lately.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I'm still reading "The Ship of Brides" by Jojo Moyes. It's all right. I'm not emotionally invested in the characters and I'm halfway in.

I've also started Michael Moore's "Here Comes Trouble". It's really good.
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

I read Rockabye: From Wild to Child by Rebecca Woolf (she has the blog Girl's Gone Child). I wanted to like it, but it wasn't more than okay. It was just sort of trite and self-important and not very deep. Too bad, because I really like her blog most of the time.

Now I'm on to Long Spoon Lane by Anne Perry (Sílvia, your post a while ago reminded me that it's been a while since I read any of her books!).
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Still working through "I Know This Much is True." Silvia, I keep finding myself wondering what the spoiler could be and why it disappointed you! I'm enjoying it, though, and am probably about 40% through.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Bugsy, it's at the very end.

As for me, I've been reading books by a Brazilian author who hasn't been translated into English, so no point in commenting. Bah. Not that I'm too impressed with her work. I mean, they're very well-written, but don't have much of a plot.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I read "The Lazy Investor" over the weekend and started on "The Intelligent Investor". LOL. Kenneth said "well, you're both lazy and intelligent, so I think you picked the right books". Still working on "I'd Know You Anywhere" but these investing books came in at the library for me so I had to put the fiction on hold.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished both my books: Michael Moore's "Here Comes Trouble"---LOVED IT. Also Jojo Moyes' "Ship of Brides" with was all right. Only so much can happen on a decommissioned warship sailing from Australia to the UK.

Now I'm reading Joyce Maynard's "The Good Daughters".
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I thought "The Good Daughters" was pretty good. I felt like it kinda ran out of steam towards the end but overall I enjoyed it.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Spudd, that's hilarious! Are those 2 books written by the same author?
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I'm almost done The Girl Who Played with Fire. Love it! HOpefully I can finish tonight but we're going out TOTing so who knows when we'll be back. I placed a hold at the library for the final book in the series.

I've got a stack of Kathy Reichs that I need to get to.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Rowan, nope... different authors.