Bugsy! - I Know this Much is True - spoilers

Moderator: Malanee

Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Bugsy! - I Know this Much is True - spoilers

Post by Sílvia »

Well, what I didn't like was the super neat ending. Well, ok, not that I *didn't* like it, of course I liked to see our hero happy at the end, but it was all so perfect. He got his wife back after she'd rejected him for 900 pages, got a baby after he lost his own, and he got RICH?! Seriously? I thought that was a bit much for 10 pages (or so). If it had been developed through 300 pages or so I might have found it all a little more believable. But don't get me wrong, I loved it :lol No books are ever perfect for me, no matter how much I love them.

I seem to remember some amazon readers complaining that he raped his wife? I don't remember that very well. From what I remember, it was not exactly rape.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Re: Bugsy! - I Know this Much is True - spoilers

Post by Bugsy »

Oh, yes, well, you definitely have a valid point. Not exactly how it would go in real life, that's for sure. And yes, he raped Dessa when they were first dating, in the car outside the telephone restaurant/bar place she worked at. He had waited out in the car for her until she was done with work and had gotten himself all horny, and then had sex with her while she tried to fight him off and yelled at him to stop. I think he even calls it rape as he's in therapy and reliving the past. Definitely not a good situation.

I did really enjoy the book, though, and I hope that when Jason's done with the Game of Thrones series he'll give it a chance. There are lessons aplenty in there for him.
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Re: Bugsy! - I Know this Much is True - spoilers

Post by Beverly »

I agree about the neatly-wrapped-up ending ... that bugged me, too, when I read it. Still, though, I really loved the book (and the title, man -- it just hits me *right there*, you know?). I should re-read it ... when/if I ever get through the ever-growing stacks of books piled up around my house.