It's February - what are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Spudd
TH Master

Re: It's February - what are you reading?

Post by Spudd »

I finished "World Without End" finally. It was OK.

I read "Before I Go To Sleep" this weekend. Holy page-turner. I really enjoyed it.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

Spudd, "Before I Go To Sleep", is that SJ Watson? I had that in my hand at the library on Sat and put it back for some reason....
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Well, I finally finished "The Alchemist," and well, it's safe to say that I did not enjoy it. Its message is great, excellent, even somewhat timely for me, but it just seemed really hokey in lots of places. The underlying Christianity also bothered me, as it was not a crucial part of the story. I can see why many people like it so much, and I can also see why so many kind of hate it. Not my favorite for sure.

Also, I never posted that a few weeks ago when Jason and I drove 4 hours north, we listened to "The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid" by (and read by) Bill Bryson. He is such a pleasure to listen to! This one is about his childhood, so it explores the 1950s in the US and how times have changed, while also being completely hilarious. There were lots of times that both of us were literally LOLing. He's a really witty writer and a captivating reader as well. Highly recommended.

Next I think I'm going to catch up on magazines for a couple of days and then dive into the 2nd in the "A Game of Thrones" series.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Rowan wrote:Spudd, "Before I Go To Sleep", is that SJ Watson? I had that in my hand at the library on Sat and put it back for some reason....
Yes, SJ Watson. I really liked it.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I did not finish Luca Spaghetti's book--boring.

Now I'm reading Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann and I'm loving it. His style is completely compelling.
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

Bugsy wrote:Also, I never posted that a few weeks ago when Jason and I drove 4 hours north, we listened to "The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid" by (and read by) Bill Bryson. He is such a pleasure to listen to! This one is about his childhood, so it explores the 1950s in the US and how times have changed, while also being completely hilarious. There were lots of times that both of us were literally LOLing. He's a really witty writer and a captivating reader as well. Highly recommended.
I love Bill Bryson, and I agree that he's a great reader. I enjoy his books most when listening to him read them -- he has such great delivery.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Finished up Bond Girl by Erin Duff. Rowan, you read this, right? It was a decent, fun, chick lit book. It was amusing enough but I'm not understanding why there is so much chatter about it.

Not sure what I'm reading next. I have Beat the Reaper at home so probably that and then I can hit the library this weekend.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I've now started "The Mad Cook of Pymatuning" which was recommended to me someplace (don't remember where). I'm enjoying it so far. I have a goal to get rid of some of my paper books, of which this is one. I can't get rid of ones I haven't read, obviously, so I must read them!
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Mellen, that's exactly how I described Bond Girl. Honestly I felt the same way about The Goon Files a few years ago - the buzz was just crazy and the book was just "fine".

I've been slacking in the fun reading these days - work is just so crazy!
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Change of plans, as "Food Rules" by Michael Pollan came in for me at the library. That first, then "Game of Thrones."
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Started Seizure which is the 2nd in a YA series from Kathy Reichs. Good easy YA reading.

I've got a bunch of "Improving Employee Engagment" books that I need to start reading for work. Blech.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I set "Let the great world spin" aside until I get back. I just read "The news where you are" by Catherine O'Flynn. It was about an aging news anchor in the UK. It was all right. Next is a Jodi Picoult book on my PlayBook. I'll decide which one later.