It's February - what are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

It's February - what are you reading?

Post by Rowan »

I'm about 150 pgs into 11/22/63 by Stephen King. I'm pretty into it so we'll see how the rest of the 700 pages go. :)
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Re: It's February - what are you reading?

Post by Beverly »

Still plugging along on The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks ... I'm starting to agree with you, Rowan. The tone she takes with the family is so condescending that it's really coloring my enjoyment of the book.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I'm reading "Labour Day" by Joyce Maynard. It's ok. I'm kind of intrigued by the plot but I'm not feeling much for the characters yet.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I'm still on 11/22/63 - pp 460 or so. I really like it but it's so huge I hate lugging it around. This would have been a perfect book for the Kindle.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I'm about 1/2 way through 2 books:

MWF seeking BFF: My Yearlong Search for a New Best Friend by Rachel Bertsche - Eh. It's ok, has some amusing parts but I'm already sick of all the analytical crap.

There Is No Dog by Meg Rosoff - (YA book) The premise of the book is that God is a teenage boy. I'm totally enjoying it.

After I'm done with those I'm planning to start on The Orphan Master's Son.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Finished 11/22/63. I liked it.

I started Bond Girl by Erin Duffy. I'm only 20 pgs in so I really don't know what to expect. Although a little fluff after 850 pgs of King will be a nice change.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Rowan, you read 400+ pages in 24 hours? You guys have got to tell me how you do that! Kayley does the same. Is it something they feed children in the US?
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Funny Syl. I've always been a fast reader. Also consider that it was the weekend so I was able to spend some time Fri night reading and finished it Sat AM.

Finished Bond Girl yesterday. There's a ton of hype about this one. It was good fun Chick Lit but certainly not new or earth shattering. Quick and fluffy.

I've started on Josh Bazell's latest Wild Thing. I loved his debut novel Beat the Reaper which was about a mob guy turned med student and Wild Thing has the same character. His writing is great. Hoping for great things in this one.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finished up "There is No Dog" and "MWF Seeking BFF". Loved There is No Dog. Laughed out loud at some parts. MWF Seeking BFF was just eh. I can sum up the whole book: it's hard to make friends when you are an adult.

Rowan I have Wild Thing on my to read list. Will be interested to hear what you think!
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Mellen, have you read Beat the Reaper yet?
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Nope, I'm picking it up at the library tonight. :D There is a wait list for Wild Thing so I figure I'll be able to get through Beat the Reaper before it's available to me. I had just read a review on the author over the weekend.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Definitely read Beat the Reaper first. I really liked it. The dialog is just great.
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

I finally finished the Henrietta Lacks book the other day. Irked me in some places, but definitely worth reading.

Now I'm on to a novel my mom sent me called A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian. It's about a woman whose elderly, widowed father marries a much younger woman. I've just started it, but it seems promising.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I just got Mindy Kaling's book, "Is everyone hanging out without me?" So far I'm entertained.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Rowan, I had to read Beauty Queens by Libba Bray since you mentioned it was a little strange and I loved her trilogy so much. You are right. Strange!! It was like it had a ton of potentional to be funny and just wasn't. Anyway.....

I'm a 1/4 of the way into The Orphan Masters Son by Adam Johnson. Fairly decent so far, I'm hoping it picks up a bit.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Mellen, I got the first book of the Libba Bray trilogy out of the library on Sat. :)
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Finished Wild Thing by Josh Bazell. I have to say it really paled in comparison to his debut novel. For me, it was too political (I'm pretty apolitical) and the footnote thing while clever in Beat the Reaper was tiring in this novel. Mellen, sorry I don't want to sway you on this book but honestly if I hadn't read BtR first, I probably wouldn't have finished this one at all.

Not sure what's on the pile next....
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Ugh, Rowan that stinks. And I don't know if I can read another book with the footnote thing. :| I haven't started Beat the Reaper yet.

I finished up The Orphan Masters Son by Adam Johnson. It was farily decent but nothing fantastic.

Next up is: A Bad Idea I'm About to do: True Tales of Seriously Poor Judgement and Stunningly Awkward Adventure by Chris Gethard
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I read Mindy Kaling's book and it was pretty good. Great if you need something light.

Next up is Luca Spaghetti's book.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Finished True Tales of Seriously Poor Judgement and Stunningly Awkward Adventure by Chris Gethard. It was ok. There were a few funny parts and that was about it. Also reminded me that I had short story type books.

I read Heft by Liz Moore over the weekend. LOVED the book!

Next up is Bond Girl by Erin Duff.