Re: It's April - what are you reading?

Post by Bugsy »

I'm with you, Spudd. 'Nuff said. :lol
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Bugsy wrote:I'm with you, Spudd. 'Nuff said. :lol

:lol. I can't understand how Twilight FanFic got this far......at this point I kind of want to read it just to see how bad it is.
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

Spudd wrote:50 Shades of Grey - I just happened upon this review and yeah.. I won't be reading that. :lol
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/22 ... ews_widget

Wow ... I'm speechless.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

Ive started the new one from Harlan Coben Stay Close. I love his non-Myron Bolitar books.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Beverly wrote:
Spudd wrote:50 Shades of Grey - I just happened upon this review and yeah.. I won't be reading that. :lol
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/22 ... ews_widget

Wow ... I'm speechless.
Holy crap. I just got around to re the review. Jeebus.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Finished Stay Close by Harlan Coben. I liked it but not as much as usual.

I also read Song Remains the Same by Allison Winn Scott which was good.

Not sure what's next on the pile....
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I finished Before I go to Sleep and it was really, really gripping. Very good. At some point I thought I knew where it was going, but I was wrong. Good. I hate when that happens.

Then I started Marina by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (the guy who wrote The Shadow of the Wind). I didn't know it was supposed to be YA when I bought it, and that was kind of a turnoff for me, which is why it's been sitting on my bedside table forever. But now I decided to give it a try. I LOVED Shadow and really enjoyed The Angel's Game, also by him (though this one had on inconclusive ending), so that's good. And apparently all his books are set in Barcelona, which is great and different from everything I've ever read. We'll see.
Annie
Noodles and Corn

Post by Annie »

Hey all! I'm on a reading kick so thought I'd check in. My reading comes and goes depending on how busy I am.

In the last couple months I've read:
Pioneer Woman: Black Heels to Tractor Wheels - easy, fun read
Lit: A Memoir by Mary Karr - excellent!
A Stolen Life by Jaycee Dugard - interesting story but the writing and emotional depth wasn't what I was hoping for (I feel bad saying that -- she's been through so much). Read this in one day while traveling on planes.
Let It Rot - guide to composting, non-fic
The Happiness Project - "memoir"/self-help. It was alright.

Next up is The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion. Bracing myself for what will be heavy content. But I know the writing will be good so I'm looking forward to it.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Next up is The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion. Bracing myself for what will be heavy content. But I know the writing will be good so I'm looking forward to it.
I've always wanted but dreaded reading this. Let us know how you feel.

And great to see you here!
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I just finished "Easy to Like" by Edward Riche. I really enjoyed it.

Next up is "When She Woke" by Hillary Jordan, which is described as a "fast-paced dystopian thriller".
Hannah Payne’s life has been devoted to church and family. But after she’s convicted of murder, she awakens to a nightmarish new life. She finds herself lying on a table in a bare room, covered only by a paper gown, with cameras broadcasting her every move to millions at home, for whom observing new Chromes—criminals whose skin color has been genetically altered to match the class of their crime—is a sinister form of entertainment. Hannah is a Red for the crime of murder. The victim, says the State of Texas, was her unborn child, and Hannah is determined to protect the identity of the father, a public figure with whom she shared a fierce and forbidden love.

A powerful reimagining of The Scarlet Letter, When She Woke is a timely fable about a stigmatized woman struggling to navigate an America of the not-too-distant future, where the line between church and state has been eradicated, and convicted felons are no longer imprisoned but chromed and released back into the population to survive as best they can. In seeking a path to safety in an alien and hostile world, Hannah unknowingly embarks on a journey of self-discovery that forces her to question the values she once held true and the righteousness of a country that politicizes faith and love.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Hi Annie! :hi

You look cute over on this board... :jax :cute
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Annie come visit us more often!!

Blush, I just added that Hillary Jordan book to my library list - it sounds good!

I finished Sealab - super interesting, I never knew (or thought about) how complicated diving is, much less trying to live on the ocean floor.

I also read Slash and Burn by Colin Cotterill. I grabbed it at the library without really reading the jacket (had Jake with me) and didn't realize til I got home it was the last in the series of "Dr. Siri" books. It was pretty decent - it's a mystery book set in Laos. Lots of dry humor that made me laugh.

I'm headed to the library this afternoon so I have something to read this weekend. I think I have Border Run waiting on the hold shelf.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Get anything good Mellen?

I finished Blood Red Road by Moira Young. It's a dystopian YA. I liked it but it was no Divergent. Because the language is a bit different (slangy, "unedu-mi-cated") it took a bit to get into but then you get into the swing of it. Hopefully I don't start using the word "caint" at work. :)

Considering I finished the book this morning at 3am (in a bout of insomnia), not sure what's next on the list.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Rowan, I got "When She Woke" (recommended by Blush, it's GOOD!), "Hope: A Tragedy" and "Border Run"

I finished Border Run over the weekend - it was a short little book that had a disappointing ending. It was about 2 friends vacationing in Laos and they get into some trouble.....touching on morality, etc.

I'm about 3/4 of the way done with When She Woke....it's very good. I'll probably finish it on the train home today.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I'm only on page 99! It is good!
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I finished listening to "The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox" by Maggie O'Farrell and loved it. The ending, like so many it seems, was rather abrupt, but I liked the book quite a lot. I'm hosting the next book club and chose "Cat's Eye" by Margaret Atwood. Will start "A Storm of Swords" by George R. R. Martin (3rd in the "Song of Ice and Fire" series) sometime this week.