It's April - what are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

It's April - what are you reading?

Post by Rowan »

It's April!

I'm reading Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King. Since I really liked 11/22/63, I decided to give him a shot again. I'm really not impressed but don't hate it enough to stop. Does that make sense?

I'm off for a few days for a long weekend so I need to pick up a few books this week. Woo!
Spudd
TH Master

Re: It's April - what are you reading?

Post by Spudd »

I just finished my dolphin politics book, "Startide Rising" I think it was called. I thought it was very meh, I wouldn't recommend it at all. I just read it so I could get rid of it (wouldn't want to accidentally throw away a classic of our times).

Now I'm planning to start The Hunger Games. Finally. :hyper
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Dolphin politics? :headscratch

I'm a bit more than 3/4 through "A Clash of Kings" by George R. R. Martin, the second book in the "Song of Fire and Ice" series that "A Game of Thrones" is based on. For being set in the time that it is and dealing with medieval and fantasy-ish topics--things I normally do not really get into at all--I am loving this series. The characters are so complex and well-developed (well, developing would be the better term for this point in the series, I suppose), and the plot is fantastic. It's really well-written.

Mindy Kaling's book just came in for me at the library; I hope I can get that read before it's due back. I also just reserved the audiobook of "The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox" by Maggie O'Farrell. That's for a book club that's due to meet again at the end of the month, so if it's going to get "read," it's got to be via audiobook. I just don't have the time to finish all three of these books in the next few weeks otherwise.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Escape from Camp 14 - story about a man who escaped from one of the labor prisons in North Korea. Interesting but really sad.

I've got your Number by Sophie Kinsella. Typical book from her.......it was fluffy and mindless....easy to read.

Up next is either Drift by Rachel Maddow or The Winter King by Thomas Penn, about the dawn of Tudor England and Henry VII.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I FINALLY finished Fall of Giants by Ken Follett. Not worth it. WAY too much history and politics, not enough fiction and character development, IMO. I'm mildly curious to see what he'll do with the rest of the trilogy, though.

Now I'm reading Lost and Found by Lucy Cavendish http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lost-Found-Lucy ... 106&sr=1-1 It's been reviewed by 9 people in amazon uk and by none in amazon US :lol I hope that's not a bad sign. It's readable so far (i'm on page 150).
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Just finished The Hunger Games. Man, that was a good book.

Bugsy, the dolphin politics book was sci fi about a future where dolphins are sentient and flying around in spaceships.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

This weekend I read....

Ashes Ashes - Jo Treggiari
The Fault in our Stars - John Green
All the Money in the World - Laura Vanderkam
Monday Mourning - Kathy Reichs

Everything was just ok. My fave of the bunch was probably The Fault in our Stars (YA novel about 2 dying teens).

I'm reading the next Kathy Reichs book in the series; Cross Bones. I don't love the series but like it enough to continue.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I forgot I had Rise of the Governor by Robert Kirkman that's due back so I read that today. It's a novel about a character from The Walking Dead graphic novels. Follow that? I finished it thinking that Kirkman should stick w the graphic novels. :shock: the was poorly written even w a ghost writer. Oh well.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Finished Cross Bones. *sigh* I wish I loved this series. I really miss reading good series books....

We babysit at a friend's house on Fri and I forgot a book so picked something off her shelf. Waiter Rant by Steve ? It was ok but honestly, I have funnier stories when I was a waitress than he did. Meh.

I'm reading Jodi Picoult's latest, Lone Wolf. I almost didn't pick it up because...really...wolves? I should have listened to myself, I find myself skipping over the wolf parts. Almost done. I've always liked her books but I know I'm in the minority here. I won't be defending this one for sure.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Finished Lone Wolf. I don't recommend it...even if you are a Picoult fan. Bah!

I just started Divergent by Veronica Roth. It's been on my TBR list forever and it finally came in as a hold yesterday.

We're on Spring Break this week which is nice because it means no homework which means more free time for Mom to read!!!!
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Rowan, does M let you read when he's awake? At what age did he start doing that? I can only read when Leo's asleep.

I finished that book by Lucy Cavendish. It was pretty good for its genre. Its "genre" being fiction about motherhood.

Now I'm reading Before I go to Sleep. Pretty good so far!
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

M has always been good at "letting" me read. I would often read alongside him as he watched a video or tv. I know...mother of the year...but I need my quiet time. :wine

Oh and there's no 'when he goes to bed". We go to bed at the same time...since he was a baby.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Rowan wrote:M has always been good at "letting" me read. I would often read alongside him as he watched a video or tv. I know...mother of the year...but I need my quiet time. :wine
I do the same thing. When Jake's having his snack or playing on my iPad I'll sit with him and read.

I'm in the middle of "If These Walls Could Talk - An Intimate History of the Home" by Lucy Worsley. It's really interesting. All sorts of details of various things that used to go on in 18th century life from sleeping arrangements to fingernail hygiene.

So has anyone read "Fifty Shades of Grey" the erotic thriller that everyone is talking about? A few woman that I work with are reading it and keep raving about it. I cannot bring myself to read it knowing that it started off as Twilight FanFic.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Haven't read 50 Shades either but there's a lot of buzz at the office. Considering I refuse to buy books, it's unlikely that I will read it as the library won't have it. Didn't know it was Twilight FanFic.

I'm really liking Divergent. It's sitting in my car right now...taunting me.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

My MOM was the one who told me about 50 Shades of Grey; not that she's read it but there was discussion somewhere among people she knows. I checked the library and they didn't have it. Too bad for me.

I'm now reading "Easy to Like" by Edward Riche. The first chapter was a little heavy on the wine tasting terminology but I'm really enjoying it now.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Finished Divergent last night. Loved it! If you liked Hunger Games, you'll like this. However if you are a crazy obsessed Hunger Games fan, then you won't. It's been a long time since a book grabbed me so much. Can't wait for the 2nd in the trilogy - it comes out May 1st.

Next up is The Way We Fall by Megan Crewe. It's your typical end of the world, bad ass flu YA novel. It's written as a series of letters to her bff. So far so good.

I've got a few at the library that I need to pick up tomorrow.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finally checked and my library actually does have the Fifty Shades of Grey books. 685 holds on the first one (45 copies in circulation)!!!!

I finished up "If These Walls Could Talk....". Really enjoyed it.

I just started reading SeaLab by Ben Hellwarth about 1960's quest to live and work on the ocean floor.

Rowan, I put Divergent on my hold list. Sounds good. I just read about a YA novel getting good reviews called Fair Coin by E.C. Myers that I added as well: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/fair-co ... 1106752627
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Mellen, I checked for 50 shades of grey again and now they have it. I'm 49th (on one copy!).

Fair Coin looks good. Library doesn't have it but I 'll keep an eye out.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Did I post about finishing "A Clash of Kings," the 2nd of the "Game of Thrones" series? If not, I finished that and loved it. Will start the third soon.

I also read Mindy Kaling's book, "Is everyone hanging out without me?" and enjoyed it. She's funny and seems so...normal. I found it to be very honest.

Now I'm listening to "The Vanishing act of Esme Lennox" by Maggie O'Fallon. It's for book club. It was really weird at first, and still kind of is, but I'm liking it. It's sort of mysterious, and I reallg want to figure oht what's going on!
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

50 Shades of Grey - I just happened upon this review and yeah.. I won't be reading that. :lol
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/22 ... ews_widget