It's June - what are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Re: It's June - what are you reading?

Post by mellenhead »

Finished Deadlocked (Sookie book) - it was a decent and fun read.

Canada - by Richard Ford (I think!) - Really enjoyed it but it was loooong and a bit rambly in parts.

I need to read Garbagology: Our Dirty Love Affair w. Trash in the next 2 days before it's due back. I have a stack of books waiting for me on the hold shelf, I believe.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finished "Death Comes to Pemberley". Meh. It was okay. I wouldn't highly recommend it.

Now I've started on "To the Baltic with Bob" which is a non-fiction (a travelogue) about a guy who goes boating around the Baltic sea with his friend Bob. A co-worker lent it to me because I'll be going on a cruise there this summer. So far it's about as entertaining as a travelogue can be.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I finished the Jonathan Kellerman, which was barely readable (not enough of a mystery, too much cop talk, stupid premise). Now I'm reading Please Look After Mom by this Korean author http://www.amazon.com/Please-Look-After ... UTF8&qid=1 and it's got all this hype but I'm finding it boring, boring. There's no plot, basically a woman goes missing and the book is about her family members lamenting what they took for granted all those years she was around. It's supposed to be this super sensitive old-lady book club book, and call me a heartless bitch, but I'm just finding it boring. I need a story. I've read about... 95 pages? And it only has 270, but life's too short for books you don't like, so I don't know.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished "I Am Forbidden" and I was really drawn in.

Now I've got the newest Penny Vincenzi, "The Decision". Man I love her.
Annie
Noodles and Corn

Post by Annie »

I finished "The Almost Moon". Not recommended. Next up: The Liars Club by Mary Karr. I read another of her books a few months ago so this seems like a safe path.
Annie
Noodles and Corn

Post by Annie »

Liars Club is on hold. Now reading "My Sister, My Love" by Joyce Carol Oates. Interesting and different!
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

This weekend I read Wife 22 and Someone Like Her. Both were just ok...high end chick lit.

I'm working on The Widower's Tale by Julia Glass. Lots of character development and since I keep picking it up and putting it down I keep having to remind myself who is who but so far so good.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I gave up on the Korean lady. Now I'm reading Under the Dome by Stephen King. Bad reviews say he recycles characters, but I haven't read many of his books, so I'm good. More things happened in the first 10 pages than in the first 100 in the Korean book! High brow readers would probably be horrified that I like SK better than I like her, but who cares?
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Syl, I've stopped apologizing for the books I like. I like what I like, bite me.

I read 11/22/63 by King recently and really enjoyed it. I hadn't read anything by him in some time.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Sil, I *loved* the writing in Under the Dome. I thought all the characters were very fleshed out and real. I actually couldn't put it down. I am hit or miss on SK. Some of his work I love and others I can't even read because they bore me to tears. And like Rowan, I've quit apologizing for what I like. I give zero fucks if someone thinks that what I am reading is lowbrow.

Anyway....

I started reading The Innocents by Francesca Segal. It's about a young Jewish couple in London who question if they are really happy in life. I'm liking it so far.

I haven't had much time to read lately, which is making me quite grumpy. :sadpanda
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Yes, guys, that's the spirit. I've also stopped trying to finish books I don't like. If it hasn't grabbed me after 50 or 100 pages, goodbye.

Mellen, I missed you'd read it. Good to know you liked it! I'm on page 180 or so, and I think there are too many characters, and I hope he'll stop introducing new ones soon. It's hard to keep track of everybody. But I'm liking it. Also, Leo's been going to bed super late (=very little reading time) and it's driving me insane. I need my reading time like other people need booze or time with friends or physical activity.

Ro, I read the first chapter of 11/22/63 at the store today and I totally wanna read it. Gotta wait for the paperback, though. No way I'm paying US$50 for the hardback (hardback? is that the word?). I wouldn't pay 50 bucks to hear the story from SK himself.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Hardcover. :) I wouldn't spend $50 on it either! But it was good!

Still reading the Widower's Tale...I haven't had much time to read either. I agree it's definitely my way to unwind and get grouchy if I don't have time to read.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finished up The Innocents. The ending was somewhat unsatisfying but I did like it overall.

I started Man Made by Joel Stein. I generally like his reading and find him funny but this books is just him trying to hard to be funny. I kind of skimmed most of it and read some parts.

Right now I'm torn between reading The Chaperone or Game of Thrones because I just finished watching Season 1. (Because in my mind - if the show was so awesome, the book must be amazing?!)
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Hardcover! :ohfor Of course. Thanks!
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

That might be another of those regional things ... in Idaho we're more likely to say hardback. :)
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Really? I've never heard that. I said it because I drew a blank :)
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I'm about halfway through The Decision by Penny Vincenzi. She draws me in every time. 7-800 pages always feels like nothing. I will be sad when this one's done!
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I'm halfway through Defending Jacob. I'm liking it so far. Story is teen is murdered, DA is assigned, DA's son is arrested for crime, DA convinced his son is innocent does everything he can to clear him. Sometimes I'm not too crazy about the writing but I can't put my finger on it yet. It's had rave reviews so I"m really hoping for the best.

No boy this week as he is off to Grandparent Camp so I'm anticipating lots of reading time.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Blush, I saw the latest Penny Vincenzi at the library yesterday and thought of you and almost picked it up but it smelled like an ashtray. :( I won't take out stinky books because I'm too sensitive to the smell.

I did find a bunch of good ones though. Hopefully I can carve out some time.....
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

I saw a Penny Vincenzi book at the Salvation Army yesterday, but I couldn't remember why her name was familiar to me ... now I wish I'd picked it up, since Blush and I seem to have similar tastes.

I'm still working on The Dovekeepers and liking it, but it's hard to find time for it. Yesterday I started At Risk, also by Alice Hoffman, because I needed a smaller book to take in my bag. I'm about halfway through it, and it's very good, though almost unbearably sad.