It's June - what are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

It's June - what are you reading?

Post by Rowan »

3 pages last month ladies....exciting!

I read The Skinny Rules by Bob Harper. I don't know why I keep reading diet books, they all are pretty much the same.

Next is 50 Shades. I really need to read it at home so I don't get weird looks.
Spudd
TH Master

Re: It's June - what are you reading?

Post by Spudd »

I finished Bossypants a few days ago and started on Death Comes to Pemberley, by PD James. It's a murder mystery that's essentially a sequel to Pride and Prejudice. It started off slow but I'm getting into it now.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I just picked up a stack of books from the library. I'm going to start on I Am Forbidden (about the Satmar sect) today. After that I'm reading:

Deadlocked (next Sookie book)
Garbagology - Our Dirty Love Affair with Trash
Canada - by Richard Ford
The Lower River by Paul Theroux
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I'm well into "A Grown up Kind of Pretty" by Joshilyn Jackson and really liking it. Then An Economist Gets lunch, and I also have I Am Forbidden. I swear I'm the only person who puts books on hold here; they come in WAY too fast!
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Ooh! Tell me about Canada when you get to it, I was just reading about it.

And speaking of Canada, what's up with the crazy psycho killer guy? I thought US had all the crazies! I heard he's hiding out in Blush's neck of the woods.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I heard he went to France; they've got Interpol involved! Jeebus that guy is creepy. Have you seen pictures of him?
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I read 50 Shades of Grey. Meh. I didn't really think it was all that. I can really see the Edward/Bella dom/sub story within the story which was interesting. What really annoyed me was everytime she described something she ended with oh my... Really 22 yo women wouldn't use that phrase. Maybe a 50 yo woman. I'll read the 2nd one but I"m not impressed.

I also read Taste of Salt by Martha Southgate. As I just plucked it off the library shelf, I was pleasantly surprised. Quick and easy read.
Annie
Noodles and Corn

Post by Annie »

May was a little slower for me. I finished The Year of Magical Thinking. Really well written and thoughtful but a little too "slow" for my liking. It's not really a book with a plot and I had a hard time accepting that. :lol

Then I read We Need To Talk About Kevin. Oh my gosh, SO GOOD. One of the best books I've read in a while. Great story and really interesting psychological exploration of the mother-child relationship. Interesting.... I really had to crunch through some of the words though. Lots of vocab I didn't know. I kept my Dictionary app open on my phone the whole time I was reading. Obviously I got the gist from context but I figure, might as well explore the new words a little more.

Now I'm reading The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold, author of Lovely Bones. I was expecting better. I'm about 1/2 way through.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I read "An Economist Gets Lunch" and it was interesting, although a lot of the take-away (pardon the pun) is useless for people who don't live in large American cities. I'd LOVE to walk over to my local Asian grocery store and get deals on greens and learn about new foods but that is not going to happen here. A) can't walk to any store except the ice cream shop B) I have seen ONE Asian person since I moved here and I think they are probably on contract at the plant C) There are no deals on greens no matter where you'd buy them here. We are just far enough off the 401 corridor that sending stuff here is pricey. I'm sure when the local stuff is ready it'll be great but still not a deal because now "local" = trendy and $.

So. A fast read if you skip over the parts that don't apply to you.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Annie, I can't stand books with no plot either. And I'm SO with you on Kevin. I read it last year and it's one of the best books I've read in years. So powerful. I was re-reading parts of it the other day because I saw the movie. To me the most disturbing thing was not what Kevin did, but what Eva felt about being a mom. No wonder he ended up like that!

I'm reading something way less interesting, Obsession by Jonathan Kellerman. I'm not really into it, but I'm on page 200 and won't give up now. I can't believe this man has built a fortune on this formula. I mean, it's not terrible, but it's not terribly inspired either.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

To me the most disturbing thing was not what Kevin did, but what Eva felt about being a mom. No wonder he ended up like that
Interesting, I didn't see it that way at all. The whole nature vs nurture debate I guess. I did "enjoy" the book as well. We have the movie for this weekend - anybody know how it compares to the book?

I loved Jonathan Kellerman books up to a point (book 10 or so?) but then just meh. I did the same with Patricia Cornwell (wow for 8 books or so) but then the formulaic thing really got to me. Don't even get me started on James Patterson...I don't even think he writes his own books anymore, they just use his name to get on the best seller list.

I've got the new Sookie Stackhouse book, Deadlocked. Should be a fun read for the weekend.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I just finished "A Grown Up Kind of Pretty" by Joshilyn Jackson. I think I'll look for more of her books. This one was told from 3 points of view: grandmother, her daughter and granddaughter. It looked at their relationships with each other but they also had a bit of a mystery to unravel so it kept me intrigued.

Next up is I am Forbidden.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Blush, I've read a few of Joshilyn Jackson's - gods in Alabama was good. Definitely look into more from her.
Annie
Noodles and Corn

Post by Annie »

Ro, we have the movie for this weekend also!

I actually sympathized with the mother and felt like the book identified a lot of feelings I've had about motherhood but hadn't put my finger on. The parent child relationship just unfolds a lot differently than you would intellectually expect. Namely that the temperament and personality of your child dictates how you are as a mother. I think that each woman has a different level of "innate" mothering tendencies and then your child, and your bond with them, creates the rest of your mothering personality and behaviors. Sort of that same thing of nature vs nurture, only it extends to the growth of the parents as well.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finished I Am Forbidden. The beginning was slow and a bit hard to understand but once I got into it, I found it quite good.

I haven't been reading that much this week, got totally sucked into watching most of the 1st season of Game of Thrones on HBO GO! :lol

I started Deadlocked (sookie book) at lunch today, I figure I'll finish that tonight. Probably read Canada next.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Interesting, I didn't see it that way at all. The whole nature vs nurture debate I guess. I did "enjoy" the book as well. We have the movie for this weekend - anybody know how it compares to the book?
No? Well, I was thinking about these passages (about Kevin's birth): "I felt - absent. I kept scrabbling around in myself for this new indescribable emotion, like stirring a crowded silverware drawer for the potato peeler, but no matter how I rattled around, no matter what I moved out of the way, it wasn't there".

And then: "... I was revisited by that now-what sensation of my tenth birthday party: Here we were, in a room, and there seemed nothing to say or do. Minutes wore on, Kevin would yowl, rest limply, and jerk irritably from time to time: I felt the first stirrings of what, appallingly, I can only call boredom".

To me, this is clearly a woman who did not want to be a mother. Also, there was a part in the movie (I'm not sure if it was in the book or if she just thought it) where she actually *says* to 2-year-old Kevin: "before Kevin came along, mommy was happy. If it weren't for Kevin, mommy would be in France now".

This is why I was all "duh, no wonder he did what he did, with a mother like you". Also, I never bought the idea that a baby and then a toddler could behave like he did, never wanting to play, never smiling, etc. He was, after all, a developmentally/intellectually normal child.

I thought the movie was excellent, though they never live up to the books, do they? Just because in a movie you can't be inside a character's head like in a book. And it might be a little confusing for someone who hasn't read it, with all the flashbacks. Let us know what you think of it.
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

I finished up The Sense of an Ending in a day or two and thought it was pretty good. Funny and sad and thought-provoking. I'm not sure if I thought it was Booker Prize-worthy, though.

Now I'm reading The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman. It's a pretty big departure from her other stuff, so I have to keep reminding myself that she's the author. I'm liking it, though.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I read Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris this weekend. It was ok but I'm finding these books getting a little crowded (vamps, were-whatevers, fairies, etc) but it kept my attention.

Annie, that's a really interesting take which I can totally buy into.

Syl, I agree that the comment about Mommy not being happy and if she didn't have Kevin she would be in France was harsh and should have never been uttered out loud but I chocked that up to her being at the end of her rope so to speak. The other 2 passages, I've felt. When M was born, I waited for this rush of rainbows and unicorns but it didn't happen. I absolutely fell in love with him quickly after but it wasn't this instantaneous feeling. And sure, I've felt bored with M. I hadn't considered the impossible-ness of him behaving like he did as a child. We watched the movie on Friday and definitely enjoyed although S was worried that it was too artsy for him in the beginning. I'm glad he was able to sit through the first 15 minutes or so.

Not sure what's up next on the pile. I have a half day planned today and have to pick up M early at school. He's bringing over a friend to play video games, I may watch The Help upstairs. We were going to watch it this weekend but I was worried that dh was going to ruin it for me. I loved the book so much I really want to focus ont he movie.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

When M was born, I waited for this rush of rainbows and unicorns but it didn't happen. I absolutely fell in love with him quickly after but it wasn't this instantaneous feeling. And sure, I've felt bored with M.
Sure, I've heard of absolutely normal, loving moms who didn't fall in love with their babies immediately, but with her it never happened! And yes, I've felt bored with Leo too, but not 2 hours after he was born! The first night of his life I was so excited I couldn't sleep (little did I know...). But it's a fascinating read, no matter what/how you can relate to it. Glad you guys enjoyed the movie!
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I read The List by Siobhan Vivian yesterday. It was an easy YA read but it really held my attention.

Not sure what I'm in the mood for next.....