It's July...what are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Re: It's July...what are you reading?

Post by Bugsy »

Mellenhead, I'm so glad you're enjoying the series so far! Isn't it a good story? There's some amazing character development, and books two, and especially three, have some totally crazy scenes and twists. Do you have a favorite character/scene?

I finished the David Sedaris audiobook, and I stand by my "meh" assessment. Some amusing and LOL moments, but several of the stories did nothing for me.

Now I'm listening to yet another audiobook: "A Stolen Life" by Jaycee Dugard. She's the reader for it too, and wow, there is some chilling stuff in there. I'm only on the 2nd of 6 CDs, but it's already been incredibly sad and also disgusting at times. The things that poor child had to endure....
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Bugsy, I kind of love Tyrion. I'm having a hard time separating the books and the HBO show though. I keep picturing the actors in my head while I'm reading. I cannot wait to read the next book. Are the Greyjoys and the Iron Islands as loathsome as they are on the show?
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Oh yes. Theon's such a jackass.

Tyrion is pretty amazing, isn't he? The casting for that character was spot-on. Personally, my favorite is Arya. I love how she's such a little badass and smart.
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

Bugsy, I don't really get David Sedaris either.

I just finished a cheap ebook called In Leah's WAke about a "perfect" teenager who isn't so perfect and her family. For 3.99 I can't compain.

I have three Stephen King books waiting for me now.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

I finished The 500 by Matthew Quirk. I liked it...it's The Firm but in DC.

I started The Professionals which is the story of a group of graduates who can't find jobs but decide to start kidnapping people to raise money but they only request reasonable ransoms (50K or so for a millionaire). I'm only 40pp in or so but I like it.
Annie
Noodles and Corn

Post by Annie »

Bugsy, I read "A Stolen Life" a couple months ago. So sad...and yet she is an incredible spirit.

I finished "Crooked Little Heart" by Anne Lamott last night. It was pretty good. Great writing and character development but a little too slow for me. I need more plot than that.

I think I'm going to treat myself to a new book today (as in, buy it new!) since I got paid today (I write my own paychecks :lol). I'll probably get "Gone Girl". I hope it's as good as everyone says since I'm paying full price. ;)
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

Rowan I might try out that Professionals book

I just finished The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon by Stephen King,not his best work
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

The Professionals was good...however I thought the ending was hurried.

Need to figure out what's next.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Last night I re-read 168 Hours by Laura Vanderkam (orginally read it in 2010) - it's a pretty good time managment book. I'm going to share more about it on the main board.

Question I have is since it's a re-read does it count for my yearly total? I usually don't count re-reads but now I'm wondering.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I would count it. I reread the whole Hunger Games Trilogy in 2 days and counted those. :whistle

I read "Yes Chef" by Marcus Samuelsson - it was pretty good.

I tried to read "Tumbleweeds" by Leila Meacham (sp?) but it was the exact same formula as her "Roses" book. I enjoyed Roses but not enough to bascially read it again.

I have a shit ton of holds waiting for me at the library. WHY must a bunch come in at once?!

Off Balance: A Memoir - Dominique Moceanu
Divergent - Veronica Roth
Shadow of Night - Deborah Harkness (EXCITED for this one)
The Next Best Thing - Jennifer Weiner
The Age of Miracles - Karen Thompson Walker
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Mellen, all but the top book on your list (which I will look into) are either on my hold list or I've already read. Too funny!

Thanks, I will count 168 Hours....just felt like cheating....
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Rowan - I am about 300 pages into Divergent and can't put it down. SO GOOD.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I'm so glad you like Divergent. The 2nd in the series is already out, Insurgent - you'll want to put that on hold too.

I started The Age of Miracles this morning. The book jacket says the author wrote in the mornings before work...I wish I could be that productive. I like it so far except it reads as a YA but is not a YA. Interesting.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Finished Age of Miracles...I thought it was really good.

I started a book about Apple this morning. I have other books that I should be reading because they'll be due soon but I was in the mood for non-fiction.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Rowan, I totally thought Age of Miracles was YA? Could have sworn I read that somewhere (not it really matters.....).

I finished Divergent and loved it. Can't wait to read the next one, thankfully there were only about 80 holds in the library system for it and my branch has 2 copies so I shouldn't have to wait very long.

I started Shadow of Night yesterday evening and I'm only about 3 chapters in and totally hooked.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Maybe it is YA, I think it might be labeled improperly from my library.

I liked it but I liked the trilogy by Susan Beth Pfeffer (Life as we Know it) much better. There's just so much buzz about this one.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Does anyone have any suggestions on books about US presidents? I realize while we were watching Boardwalk Empire (thanks Blush) last night that I really don't know a lot about past presidents. I don't want to necessarily read giant tomes but I could certainly learn a thing or two.
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

Rowan your best bet might be going to the education section where they have workbooks at a bookstore and buying the workbookish thing. The boys have one and it has a couple of pages on each one.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Thanks Anna, I may check Netflix too. :wink:

Yesterday, I read Summerland by Elin Hilderbrand. It's certainly a beach read but I enjoyed it. I realize that I've read several of hers and always like them...I need to search more out.

In my insomniac state this morning, I started "There But for The" by Ali Smith. I just don't like the writing style. I think I might just drop it. It's gotten great reviews but...
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I'm posting this here because I finished it last night: Lost Innocence by Susan Lewis. It really grabbed me from the start but then I sort of lost interest in the characters. They just all seemed so whiny.