It's September...what are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

It's September...what are you reading?

Post by Rowan »

4 pages in August ladies...very exciting.

Got some good reading in this weekend:

The Expats: Chris Pavone
Dare Me: Megan Abbott
One More Thing Before I Go: Jonathan Tropper

I have a pile waiting for me at the library so I'll go pick those up this afternoon.
Spudd
TH Master

Re: It's September...what are you reading?

Post by Spudd »

I got Insurgent from the library, and so far I'm enjoying it (not as much as the first one, though).

Additionally, I'm still in the middle of Fall of Giants, but put it on hold since Insurgent came in for me. It's pretty good, I'm surprised at how interesting he's able to make history.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I'm about 1/4 of the way through A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin. It is excellent. :D
Last edited by mellenhead on Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I'm reading Private Lives by Tasmina Perry. It's contemporary British fiction; my mom recommended her.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I've started but am barely into "A Feast for Crows" by George R.R. Martin. It always takes me a few chapters to get into these books, but then I love them. I'm about to go get hopefully two read before bed.

Glad you're enjoying this one too, Mellenhead! Some crazy stuff starts happening in book 2!
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Currently reading When She Was Good by Laura Lippman. I really like her stand alone books. She has a series but haven't been able to get into it.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Finished When She Was Good last night and really liked it.

I grabbed a book from the pile for hockey tonight. Gone Missing by Linda Castillo - it's the 4th in a murder/mystery series that dabbles in Amish country.
Annie
Noodles and Corn

Post by Annie »

I'm quitting both of my current books: Prophet's Prey and Nightwoods. The former is just a little to factual/dry for me when I'm tired (I read before bed). The latter is really clunky to read. Does not flow nicely and I keep getting bogged down trying to translate the awkward structures. I QUIT.

So now I'm on to The Double Bind by Chris Bohjalian. I'll start it tonight or on the plane tomorrow.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finished A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin. I'm so in love with these books. Anyway, it was awesome.

I stopped at the library tonight and picked up Laura Lamonts Life in Pictures and A Storm of Swords. I'll probably read the Laura Lamont book first before I fall down the rabbit hole of George R.R. Martin again.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

:shock: You finished that book in a WEEK, Mellenhead?! Goddamn you're a fast reader!

And this:
mellenhead wrote:...before I fall down the rabbit hole of George R.R. Martin again.
is such a good way to describe the experience of those books. Love it!
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I don't know about Mellen, but Rowan reads like 3 books in an afternoon!

Those books are fantasy, right? I picked one of them up at the store the other day and was bored before I finished the blurb. Soooo not my thing.

I finished The Thirteenth Tale. It was a reread, I was reading it because someone compared it to The Forgotten Garden and I wanted to check it out, because I didn't remember much. They have some elements in common, but that's all. NOT the same story, like some goodreads reviewers said. The Forgotten Garden is better, though I did enjoy The Thirteenth Tale at the time. The latter is a bit too dark and depressing. It has gratuitous murders, incest, child neglect and abandonment, etc. Too many bad things. And man, I did NOT remember the plot. I thought I remember a twist at the end. Yes, there was a twist, but it's not as I remembered it. My memory sucks. Or maybe it's because I was pregnant when I read it.

Now I started The Lake of Dreams by Kim Edwards (the author of The Memory Keeper's Daughter). No opinion yet.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Silvia, you just made me bust out laughing. I am a fast reader...but it would probably take a whole day before I finished 3 books. I daresay my deserted island honey mellen is a faster reader than me. Plus she has that awesome commuting time.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

but it would probably take a whole day before I finished 3 books
:rofl
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Bugsy wrote::shock: You finished that book in a WEEK, Mellenhead?! Goddamn you're a fast reader!
:lol I get obsessive when I'm reading a good book. Like I carry it with me and will read at any given opportunity, even if it's only for a few minutes. I have issues. :whistle
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished "Private Lives". It was pretty good, although it could have been a bit shorter.

I just started "Where'd you go, Bernadette?" and then I have "Dare me" by Megan Abbott. :awesome
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I gave up on the Kim Edwards. SO boring. I hate to abandon books, but when you're bored to death at page 90, that's not a good sign, is it? Then my cleaner misplaced it on Friday and I didn't find it until Saturday and didn't miss it one bit. Not a good sign either, uh?

Now I'm reading The Innocents by Laura Lippman, which is a little less boring but still not great :cuss It seems to be going EXACTLY where I thought it was. Sigh. I hope I'm wrong. Why don't I just start the 2 Stephen Kings I have waiting for me?
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

Mostly I'm reading school stuff (early modern European history), but when I take a break from that I'm working on The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern.
Annie
Noodles and Corn

Post by Annie »

Still slogging through "The Double Bind". Oh my goodness...not sure what's going on. It's good but I guess it's just not that compelling. I only half care about all of the characters.

Next up is "Tell the Wolves I'm Home". From the LIBRARY. You guys would be proud of me. (Though as I flipped through the pages, I saw a 10pg section that has some water damage and I instantly though, I hope there aren't bedbugs in this book too.)
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished "Where'd You Go, Bernadette?" this morning and loved it. Now I have "Dare Me" by Megan Abbott, and "Gone Girl" just came in for me at the library. I will have to go into town on Friday to get it.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Finished Gone Missing by Linda Castillo last night. I liked it but not as much as her others...she's getting a bit formulaic.

Not sure what's next. I didn't read at all last week - not sure why.