It' December...what are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Re: It' December...what are you reading?

Post by Rowan »

Curious to hear how you like Full Body Burden...I've put it on my TBR list.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finished This is How You Lose Her by Junot Diaz. Somehow didn't realize this was a bunch of short stories, but these I really enjoyed. Love his writing.

Planning to start Brain on Fire at lunch.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finished "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" by Mary Ann Shaffer and wasn't impressed. The letter-writing style isn't my favorite, and the plot didn't really grab me.

I just started "The Litigators" by John Grisham. I wanted something light and fluffy. So far it's okay.
Annie
Noodles and Corn

Post by Annie »

Ro, it's really good. I'm about 1/2 through and am liking it. She weaves 2 narratives: one on the events of Rocky Flats and one of her personal/family life. Sometimes the timelines don't match up exactly so I wish there was a little bit more chronological organization. But otherwise, I really like it.
Annie
Noodles and Corn

Post by Annie »

I heard part of an interview with the author on NPR and was intrigued. Let me know how it is!
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Annie wrote:
I heard part of an interview with the author on NPR and was intrigued. Let me know how it is!
I just finished it and really liked it, even though it scared the hell out of me. The writing is well done and all the crazy medical stuff is easy to read.

I'm going to all the book you are reading to my list, sounds interesting!

Now, I need to figure out what to read next, I have The Signal and The Noise, The Twelve, and Flight Behavior. Not sure what I'm in the mood for.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I guess it's a really short book or what? Wasn't it like 2 hours ago you posted you were going to start it?
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Mellen, you read that entire book on your lunch? *bows down before you*

I'm reading something pretty sucky right now. I really really really need a good book.

Here's what I have at home...any suggestions??

Alice in Zombieland /
by Showalter, Gena.

Breed /
by Novak, Chase.

The island : a novel /
by Hilderbrand, Elin.

Love Anthony : a novel /
by Genova, Lisa.

Naked in death /
by Robb, J. D., 1950-

The other woman /
by Ryan, Hank Phillippi.

The redbreast /
by Nesbø, Jo, 1960-

A summer affair : a novel /
by Hilderbrand, Elin.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Spudd wrote:I guess it's a really short book or what? Wasn't it like 2 hours ago you posted you were going to start it?
It's only like 230 pages. I read it in a little under 2 hours......

Rowan, I haven't read any of those. I had Breed but it was one that I took out when a gazillion holds came in at once and I didn't get to read it before it had to go back.

Alice in Zombieland sounds interesting....I have to go look that up!
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I've read half of "Naked in Death". It's a pot-boiler. Cheesy as hell but pretty entertaining. It
Annie
Noodles and Corn

Post by Annie »

You read 230 pages in under 2 hours?? Holy shit!!! I will never reveal my reading pace in this group. Wow.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I chose Breed and I really got sucked into it. I have an hour and a half of hockey today so I'll certainly have some time to read.

I've just had a string of bad books lately and it was really bumming me out so I didn't want to read anything.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Annie wrote:You read 230 pages in under 2 hours?? Holy shit!!! I will never reveal my reading pace in this group. Wow.
You can do that to me. I read 30-40 pages in an hour, and that's when I'm interested. I do tend to go back and reread whole sections, though. And no, I don't read any faster in Portuguese.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Annie wrote:You read 230 pages in under 2 hours?? Holy shit!!! I will never reveal my reading pace in this group. Wow.
Granted, this book had a lot of chapters and most of them had almost blank pages at the end of those. And pages of drawings and pictures. But if it's a light, fluffy book I pretty much average 80-100 pages an hour. :shrug

I'm a little slower on more in depth type books like Game of Thrones.

Damn, Rowan now I'm regretting making the choice to skip Breed while I had it! Gonna have to re add it to my hold list!
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

mellen, I'm only about halfway through it and I'm all WTF?!? In a good way though...I've learned not to recommend books until I'm actually done though. I actually want to read this one though which is an improvement from the previous book which may be one of the worst I've read....
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

I read fast, not as fast as mellen fast. Evan reads so fast (he can finish a 300-400 page book in 3-4 hours) his teacher last year asked if I'd taken him to a speed reading class and she was serious.

I have a Lois Duncan to read and I bougth the book on how to do Medifast with out Medifast food, my trainer has it right now though.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Tell me of this MF without MF food? Although I still have the food, just don't want to lose anymore muscle.....
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

Rowan there is a way to do the diet without the foods. I forgot youd' lost muscle, I'm not sure how I didn't since I didn't exercise. I did lose hair though UGH. I'm working out so much now that my trainer is helping me formulate a plan she really wants me to eat 1500 calories on work out days. I'll still use some MF foods when I need something in a hurry or out and about, it's just easier. Once I get the book back I can photocopy the diet pages and email them to you :)
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Thanks Anna! Don't mean to hijack the book thread! :)
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Finished Breed. I felt the ending was really really rushed maybe the worst I've ever seen. Glad I read it but don't know if I'd recommend it.

Not sure what is next....