2013....It's January what are you reading??

Moderator: Malanee

Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

2013....It's January what are you reading??

Post by Rowan »

I'm reading The Other Woman by Hank Phillipi Ryan. I picked it up randomly at the library because the author sounded familiar. Turns out she was a broadcaster in Boston when I was a kid (probably still now) so I heard her name a lot as a kid. Funny.

It's not bad but waiting for it to pick up.
Annie
Noodles and Corn

Re: 2013....It's January what are you reading??

Post by Annie »

I'm working on "Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail" by Cheryl Strayed. REALLY good.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I'm reading State of Wonder by Ann Patchett and I'm hating it (sorry, Annie and Mellen). I'm finding it insanely boring and the only reason I keep reading is because I'm at the beach house with no other options, and I'm more than halfway through at this point. But ugh. It has *exactly* what I was fearing: endless, detailed descriptions of the rain forest. I'm Brazilian!! I may never have *been* to the fucking forest, but I sure as hell don't need a 2-paragraph description of what the rain feels like in the forest. I grew up watching those documentaries. Gaaaaaah!! Nothing ever HAPPENS in that book!
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

:lol Sorry, Sil! I adored that book. :whistle

I'm starting The Road to Woodbury by Robert Kirkman tonight. It's an offshoot of The Walking Dead comics.
Annie
Noodles and Corn

Post by Annie »

Oh no!!! We led you astray! Eek! Sorry you're stranded with a bad book. Lame.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I was bored with The Other Woman so put it aside for Those We Love Most by Lee Woodruff. Much better....
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finished The Road to Woodbury. Eh, it was about what you would expect from a novel based on an offshoot of the comics. The overall story was really good and tied in well but the writing was clunky.

Next up is The Wives of Henry VIII by Antonia Fraser.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Eh, that's ok. I should have trusted my instincts. I wonder if I'll ever finish it, though, since I always pass out after 10 pages :lol
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

I can't believe I'm admiting this but my first book of 2013 is erotica. I really need my husband to come home.

I'm also still working on The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime but it's not as much fun to read.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Yesterday when I was at the library I saw the 50 Shades series in large print. Now I am picturing all the senior citizens of Bruce County getting off on badly written S&M.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I liked The Wives of Henry VIII by Antonia Fraser, but it's older and some of the information from when it was published has now been proven incorrect. So it kind of bugged me thru the whole book.

I picked up a bunch of stuff at the library tonight. The Yellow Birds by Kevin Powers, The People Who Eat Darkness by Richard Llyod Parry, A Storm of Swords by George RR Martin and Wonder by R.J. Palacio (which is geared toward middle school kids, but I've heard really good things about it).
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finished "The Devil's Feather" by Minette Walters. It was pretty good.

Now I'm reading "18 Minutes" which is a business self-help book. So far, meh.
Annie
Noodles and Corn

Post by Annie »

I finished "Wild" by Cheryl Strayed (excellent!) and started "Age of Miracles". It's decent. It moves along quickly even though I haven't figured out what the actual plot is, beyond the sci-fi concept of time slowing down.
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

Les Mis was free on Amazon so I'm attempting to read it. I may not finish until the end of the year.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I just finished the Jennifer Weiner book, "Then Came You". It was good. Not gripping or anything, but good. Made me think about feelings.

Yesterday I picked up the new Kate Morton book, "The Secret Keeper", which I have to start on first because it's a 2 week hold. I also got "Tell the Wolves I'm home" plus a memoir by Jenny Lawson called "Let's pretend this never happened."
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I'm reading The Secret Life of Bees a decade after the rest of human kind. Or at least US readers. I thought it started out well, but now it's slowing down. Grrrr... this is the fourth book in a row that's left me unimpressed.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Ok, I take that back. There were 30 pages or so in there that felt a little slow, but it's back on track and I'm thoroughly (sp?) enjoying it!
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

Silvia I couldn't finish that book.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Finished Broken Harbor by Tana French and really liked it. It was a recommendation from Stephen King. He's usually spot on for my tastes. :)

Not sure what's next. Really need to get to the library. Started the new Elizabeth Lowell at hockey yesterday but was really boring. I hate when good writers waste their time on a poor series. Just write stand alone books dammit. :angrywife
Annie
Noodles and Corn

Post by Annie »

I finished "The Age of Miracles" and ended up really liking it. Even though the actual plot was a little weak, I decided the sci-fi concept was intriguing enough to carry it. It wasn't extraordinary writing but it was a fast and entertaining read.

Not sure what's next for me. I have "The Fault in Our Stars" but it's due back. I could renew it but I'm not that motivated to read it. So maybe I'll just go to the library and see what I can find.