2013....It's January what are you reading??

Moderator: Malanee

mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Re: 2013....It's January what are you reading??

Post by mellenhead »

Anna wrote:Silvia I couldn't finish that book.
Me either, it bored me to tears! Glad it picked up for you though.

I'm about 400 pages in to the 5th Game of Thrones book, Dance with Dragons. I love this series but god is this book DRAGGING. He keeps introducing new characters and it's making me crazy.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

No spoilers please, Mellenhead! I haven't started that one yet, because I'm guessing he won't write the last one for a while yet and want to lessen the gap as much as possible.

I'm in a reading funk. It took me 3 weeks to read "The Hobbit"! I have the first two from The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher that were loaned from a coworker. Have any of you read them? I'm planning to take them to Jamaica for hopefully quick reading on the plane and beach.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

Haven't read anything by Jim Butcher...wish I could help!

Just finished reading How to TAlk to a Widower by Jonathan Tropper. I love him. He just nails language and characters. I just finished reading it side by side with M who is reading the latest Diary of a Wimpy Kid. Can't tell you how amazing it is to have him reading to himself next to me. He's come a long way since last year. I'm really hoping the reading bug has finally been passed on.

We need to hit the library today.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

That's awesome, Ro! Can't wait to have a little reader next to me!

I finished The Secret Life of Bees. It was decent, but I can see how you could find it boring if you're not in the right mood. It had a decent plot and well-defined characters IMO (I didn't have to turn back the pages to remind myself who was who), but the bee talk and the virgin Mary talk were too much for my taste. The ending was very satisfying, positive but without a miracle solution to every problem. Overall I give it 3 stars.

Now I started The Shoemaker's Wife by Adriana Triggiani, but have onlyread 15 pages or so because I've been spending every evening online obsessively researching adoptable dogs.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Gotcha Bugsy! I thought you had read it already. I know the speculation is that the next one won't be out til 2015!

Rowan, that's great about M. I'm so hoping Jake is a reader.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

This morning I finished The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton. It was really good, although I realize that all of her books rely on a bit of coincidence to further the plot.

Next up is Tell the Wolves I'm Home.
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

Ok so far this year I've read

Brie Learns the Art of Submission, yes erotica
2. Big Girls Do It Better, .. it's not bad for a romance/sex thing, it was short though. There are sequels but their names are so dumb I don't think I"ll read them LOL.

3. Meeting her Match, this one was actually pretty good, with an actual story and everything.

4. Married Sex: 50 Shades of Grey for Couples.. I could have written a more informative book. I guess if I were young it might have been sort of informative?

5. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

My best friend's husband mentioned this was his favorite movie of 2012 and i hate movies so I decided to read the book instead.
It wasn't the best book ever but it was a great story of a socially awkward teen who finds a new group of friends and grows up after his only friend commits suicide. I may actually watch the movie to see how they remade it.
6. The Unwanted Wife by Natasha Anders

This was a romance that was compelling and had a good story. I read it on Kindle ap and I will say the lack of editing was irritating. It was only 99 cents so for that price it was fine

7. Buried Memories katie beers' story

True story about a neglected/abused little girl was was kidnapped and held captive and ended up with a much better life thanks to the kidnapping. She had a life until she was ten where people were either indifferent to her or abusing her (both physically and sexually). After the kidnapping she moved to a very loving foster home. This happened in 1992 and she is doing well now.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Finished a Dance with Dragons. While the middle dragged a bit the ending more than made up for that. Excellent book.

I'm about halfway through The Yellow Birds by Kevin Powers. It's written by an US war veteran about 2 soldiers trying to stay alive in Iraq. It's quite sad but the writing is beautiful.
Annie
Noodles and Corn

Post by Annie »

I finished "These Things Hidden". It was pretty good for what it was. Not amazing writing or deep character development but it was fast-paced and entertaining. A good beach read! (Says the girl who read it while buried under a down comforter at 10 o'clock at night on a 15 degree night.)

Next up is Bernadette! Just picked it up yesterday.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finished The Yellow Birds. Very good, but very sad.

I'm about halfway through Wonder by R.J. Palacio. It's geared toward middle school kids. It is about boy with a terrible facial deformity going to school for the first time in 5th grade. It's sad and funny at the same time.
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

In The Mirror: A Memoir of Shattered Secrets by Anne Carradine Best'

This is a memoir of an LDS woman who married a man she later finds out is gay. And while she wasn't open minded really she did let her children make their own decisions as they grew up. It has a lot of heartache and a lot of love in it.

9. Who Killed Chrissy? This is the most horrible, dumb true crime book I've ever written. Her friend who didn't even seem to like her that much wrote the book like 20-25 years after the murder and it's basically self serving. I'm hoping this was a book I only paid 99 cents for or got free. It was that bad.

10. Unanswered Cries: A True Story of Friends, Neighbors, and Murder in a Small Town
This was a much better True Crime story that included a lot of insight into how unfair the the justice system really is and how unprepared small town police forces are for brutal murders. It was worth the read.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I loved Wonder. A little cliched with the ending but that's ok.

Now on to The People Who Eat Darkness. By Richard Lloyd Parry. It ps a true story of a 20 something British female that disappeared in Japan.
Annie
Noodles and Corn

Post by Annie »

That sounds interesting, Mellen. Let me know how you like it.

I'm halfway through Bernadette. LOVE it. It's hilarious! I can totally see why all of us crabby introverts love this book. :lol
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

Mellen let me know how that is, I'm on a true crime stretch and it was something i considered!
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Tell the Wolves I'm Home today. I adored it. Thanks to all who recommended it!

I'm about to start a memoir by Jenny Lawson called Let's pretend this never happened. It is supposed to be funny.
Annie
Noodles and Corn

Post by Annie »