April! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Re: April! What are you reading?

Post by Rowan »

Finished With or Without You by Domenica Ruta. It was ok. She had a tough life and struggled with addiction but seemed to be given a lot of opportunity with scholarships and fellowships that I can't help but think she should have done more with that. Again, I don't really know what an addict's life is like so I'm trying not to be so judgemental.

Next up is Lean In. I've heard so much about it that it will be interesting to actually read it.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished May we be forgiven today. I was really impressed with the writing and will look for more by her in the future. I enjoyed the character development and I was never bored.

Now I have a really interesting looking novel by someone local to me: Born Weird by Andrew Kaufman.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I have not had much time to read lately and it's making me grumpy! I'm about 3/4 of the way through Nicholas and Alexandra - The Love Story that Ended an Empire. It is EXCELLENT.

I need to finish that up so I can read Scarlet and What the Family Needed before they are due back since those 2 have holds and can't be renewed.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Blush I put that on my list to read. Looks interesting....
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I'm enjoying Lean In. Has anyone else read it? I know there's a lot of controversy about it but there's a lot of "me" in there. Funny I was reading this morning and there was an anectdote about a friend's brother and his wife. I was floored to see their names and knew they were in the the Bay Area (wife had been at yahoo). Too funny!

I suggest it even to pick up various tidbits. I was happy to see her suggest the designation of roles in sharing the work for a married couple.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I really enjoyed Born Weird by Andrew Kaufman. It was quirky and light, in feel, but it dealt with some deeper themes relating to sibling and parent relationships.

I still have The Accident by Linwood Barclay to read but I am heading to the library soon so if something else catches my eye I may wait on it.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Finished Lean In. I liked it. Many crucial points are ones my manager has already made to me. The length of the book is deceiving as there are probably 30-40 pages of acknowledgements and footnotes. I was surprised when it ended.

I also read Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepatys. I think it was reviewed as YA although it didn't really read as one. I liked it - it was a super quick read.

I desperately need to get to the library. I have nothing to read. Hopefully I can get there before hockey tonight because it will be a boring one without something to read!
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I'm halfway through May We Be Forgiven which is totally strange but an easy read. It has a plate of cranberry sauce on the cover...bizarre.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finally finished Nicholas and Alexandra - The Love Story that Ended an Empire. It was very good. I'm going to have to seek out more books about that time period at some point.

I was going to read What the Family Needed next, but I realized last night it's due back tomorrow and there is no way I'm going to finish it.

So next up is Scarlet, the follow up book to Cinder. I'm only about a chapter in.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

It took me a bit to get into Scarlet so don't get frustrated...in the end I'm glad I read it.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Rowan, I'm about half way through now and couldn't believe how much I had forgotten about Cinder! It's quite good now so I'm glad I stuck through the first part where I was a little confused.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

mellen, glad you powered through Scarlet.

Finished May We Be Forgiven. I really liked it but must admit that it's not a book for everyone. The characters and story are really unrealistic and out there. I couldn't put it down.

I grabbed another book this morning for hockey tonight. The Uninvited? No idea what it's about....
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finished Scarlet, it was quite good. Rowan, do I remember you posting at one point what the name/character of the next book was going to be?

I'm currently about 3/4 of the way through Voices from Chernobyl - The Oral History of a uclear Disaster. It's really sad.

I think I saw Me before You is "in transit" to the hold shelf at the library so that'll probably be up next.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

mellen: Book 3 is Cress (Rapunzel) and Book 4 is Winter (Snow White). Glad you liked it!

I'm liking The Uninvited. Nothing major has happened yet but I'm still waiting....
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Thumbs up on The Uninvited. Ending was a bit odd but I enjoyed reading it.

Next up: The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Rowan, I have The Interestings on my hold list! Will be interested to hear what you think.

I finished Voices from Chernobyl - The Oral History of a Nuclear Disaster. It was extremely sad.

I just started The Time Traveler's Guide to Medieval England - A Handbook for Visitors to the 14th Century. I found it while wandering through the library. Good so far.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finished "May We Be Forgiven" and enjoyed it, although it was kinda weird and not at all believable.

Now I've started "The Night Circus". It's also weird, so far, but I'm liking it.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I finished the book by María Dueñas. She writes well, but this one failed to hook me. There was nothing terribly compelling (sp?) in the plot.

Now I started Stephen King´s The Stand. I asked Niko to buy it in the US in July of last year, but for some reason haven´t read yet. Since I´ve been in a book rut that never seems to end, I decided to give it a try. I haven´t read many of his books, but he never fails to entertain me.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I went through a period in my teens and 20's where I would re-read The Stand in June (when it starts). I always loved this book. Don't watch the miniseries.... :thumbdown

I started The Interestings. So far so good.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Loved The Interestings! I'm on a great roll with books recently.

Next up is Vampires in the Lemon Grove at the recommendation of mellen....