September! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Re: September! What are you reading?

Post by Rowan »

I'm reading Lexicon right now. I like it but it's heavy on the brain...does that make sense? Certainly a different novel.

Hit the big annual book fair on Friday and then again on Sunday for "Fill a Bag" for $10. I had all sorts of lists (things I wanted, everything I've read, etc) and people kept asking me where I got the lists and if they were giving them away. When I explained what they were, I got a few "oh my's". There were definitely a few crazies like me there...particularly on Friday. I got some really great stuff. I generally use these paperbacks when I travel and I leave them when I'm done. I hate taking library books on trips - I always worry.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

LOL, that's awesome about the lists. Awesome idea about travelling with the books, that is brilliant.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished the Penny Vincenzi. Funnily enough I enjoyed the short stories way more than the essays.

Now I'm reading The Pink Hotel by Anna Stothard.
A seventeen-year-old London girl flies to Los Angeles for the funeral of her mother Lily, from whom she had been separated in her childhood. After stealing a suitcase of letters, clothes and photographs from her mum's bedroom at the top of a hotel on Venice Beach, the girl spends her summer travelling around Los Angeles returning love letters and photographs to the men who had known her mother. As she discovers more about Lily's past and tries to re-enact her life, she comes to question the foundations of her own personality.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I read Wool as well. It did drag a bit at the end but overall I liked it so much that it didn't bother me. I wish the next set (Shift?) was in paperback. I think right now you can only get it as an e-book.

I tried to get back into The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon but just couldn't do it.

I just picked up Five Days at Memorial by Sheri Fink and Proxy by Alex London. Probably start Five Days first.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I finished Lexicon yesterday. It was a little bit out there for me but I can understand why people like it. Different than Company which is a more satirical novel.

I'm currently reading Claudia Silver to the Rescue. Nice easy brain candy which is all I can handle right now.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I'm thinking about choosing Lexicon when it's my turn to host book club . Do you guys think it would work for a setting like that? We seem to read a wide variety of stuff, and most of us are in health care (if that is even a factor to consider).
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished The Pink Hotel. It was okay. It seemed like it was trying to be deep and introspective but just falling short.

Now I have The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman. I have never read anything by him but people seem to love him. It is a short book.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Bugsy, I'm going to let the others who have read Lexicon weigh in here. I'll be totally honest...I feel I really didn't "get it". :paranoid

I finished The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty yesterday. I really liked it. Recommended.

Not sure what's up next on the pile. I do have Doctor Sleep but it's gigantic; not one I want to carry around the hockey rink all week.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Bugsy, I've never been in a book club, but I think there would definitely be discussion points for Lexicon. It was a very strange and interesting book.

Blush, I read that Gaiman book recently. It was OK.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Honestly, I'm not sure about Lexicon as a book club book. I really loved the book, but like Rowan said it is "heavy". I felt like it took a lot of thinking to read the book. It wasn't something I could just breeze through. I guess it depends on what type of readers are in your book club.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Hmm ok, thanks for your honesty, everyone. It sounds like it might not be the best option, but it could work. I'll keep thinking about it.