November?! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Blush
TH Master

November?! What are you reading?

Post by Blush »

Last night I finished Penelope by Rebecca Harrington. I enjoyed some of the dialogue; she seems to have captured that young-adult way of thinking and talking. But I wished more had actually happened, or that Penelope had grown up a bit more.

Now I've started A Cold and Lonely Place (second in the Troy Chance series) by Sara J. Henry. It should be a quick suspenseful read like the first one.
Spudd
TH Master

Re: November?! What are you reading?

Post by Spudd »

I finally finished the huge haul of library books I had recently, and now I'm back to the damn Casual Vacancy. Maybe I should just give up.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

I'm really liking The Cuckoo's Calling. Should finish soon.

I have Allegiant (last in the Divergent trilogy) next. I'm so excited to read it. I tried to get the first 2 from the library so I could read them again but they were out. Damn teenagers reading my YA books....
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Rowan wrote:I have Allegiant (last in the Divergent trilogy) next. I'm so excited to read it. I tried to get the first 2 from the library so I could read them again but they were out. Damn teenagers reading my YA books....
There are a gazillion holds on it in my library system. :angrywife Althought I accidently got spoiled on the ending after it leaked (before it officially hit shelves).

I'm still reading A House in the Sky by Amanda Lindhout. She was traveling in Somalia and got kidnapped. Good writing but it's about 100 pages to long.

I have Rivers, 9 Inches, 419 and The Sound of Things Falling at home so I need to decide what I'm reading next.
Last edited by mellenhead on Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Finished A Cuckoo's Calling. I recommend it. The writing in the beginning is atrocious...I almost gave up but I'm glad I didn't. Hello? Editor?

Now I get to move to Allegiant tonight. But now I have to do some job searching....
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Finished A House in the Sky. It was decent.

I think I'm going to start Nine Inches by Tom Perrotta tonight. It's a collection of short stories.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Read Allegiant on Saturday. I liked it. I would have liked to read the whole series together because I kept forgetting what happened in book 2.

I have Life After Life in my hockey bag for tonight.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I finally got my first e-book from the library last night and started reading "The Handmaid's Tale" by Maragaret Atwood on the bus this morning. It's different reading from a screen vs paper, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Bugsy, I still like paper better but electronic is easier for certain things particularly eating and reading. :)
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I bailed on the Casual Vacancy. Life is too short to read bad books.

Now I'm reading a Nora Roberts called "The Next Always". It's pretty good, super light and fluffy.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished A cold and lonely place. It was okay, but not as good as the first one in the series.

Now I have Adriana Trigiani's Brava, Valentine.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finished Nine Inches by Tom Perotta. Totally enjoyed it.

I also read Allegiant by Veronica Roth. I didn't love it. I thought the writing in the beginning was pretty bad and I didn't like one major incident in the book (trying not to spoil, not sure if anyone other than Rowan and I read this series).
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I finished both "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime" by Marc Haddon (for book club, this was a re-read for me) and "The Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood this week. The first one was nice to re-read...I found it sadder this time than I recall from the first reading. And I loved Handmaid's Tale. Her books are so interesting. I feel bad having blown through it so quickly, but apparently the e-books through the library are only released for a week at a time; it was due back by the end of the day today, and I didn't want to have to buy it or go several weeks before being able to start it again.

I just got the e-book for "Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Coast Trail" by Cheryl Strayed and will probably start it before bed.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Couldn't get into Life After Life. I was so lost in the writing. I switched to Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell which Iiked but not as much as her other two books.

Next up is Monument 14, a YA novel about a group of kids caught in a Walmart during a storm/chemical spill fiasco. Hope it's good.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I read Si-Cology 101 by the crazy uncle on Duck Dynasty. It was fluff but had some interesting parts about when he served in Vietnam.

Next up is Rivers by Michael Farris Smith
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Monument 14 was a quick read! It was ok. Premise was neat...could have been so much more.

Next up is The Shadow Tracer by Meg Gardiner.

Hockey moms are amused by my reading. "Is that a different book?". Realized last night that I won't even get close to triple digits this year. :(
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Brava, Valentine. It was okay, but I think I might be over Adriana Trigiani.

Next up is The Boy who could see demons by Carolyn Jess-Cooke.

Alex Broccoli is ten years old, likes onions on toast, and can balance on the back legs of his chair for fourteen minutes. His best friend is a 9000-year-old demon called Ruen. When his depressive mother attempts suicide yet again, Alex meets child psychiatrist Anya. Still bearing the scars of her own daughter's battle with schizophrenia, Anya fears for Alex's mental health and attempts to convince him that Ruen doesn't exist. But as she runs out of medical proof for many of Alex's claims, she is faced with a question: does Alex suffer from schizophrenia, or can he really see demons?
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I don't know if I could read about a boy who likes onions on toast. Blech. Blush, every time I see an Adriana book I think of you....
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished The Kindness of Strangers. It was good. Not great, but good. IF you can stomach the subject matter, which is NOT stated in the blurb. It was very gripping, even though it was also predictable. Once the main event happened (pretty early on), there was only one direction the plot could go.

Now I started Where'd you go, Bernadette? I hope you guys are right about it!
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Oh I loved Berndette, Sil. I hope you like it.

I couldn't get into Rivers for whatever reason. So I breezed through Mother.Wife.Sister.Human.Warrior.Falcon.Yardstick.Turban.Cabbage by Rob Delaney last night. (He's the funny guy on twitter in a green speedo). It was pretty amusing.

I started The Circle by Dave Eggers at lunch today (did someone else here already read it? Blush?) and while I'm enjoying it it's making me CRAZY that there are no clear chapters. I *need* to stop reading at the end of a chapter. :lol