December! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

December! What are you reading?

Post by Rowan »

I just finished Hologram for the King by Dave Eggers. Holywasteoftime.

I have a big pile...not sure what's next. I'm also working my way through the Little House series too.
Blush
TH Master

Re: December! What are you reading?

Post by Blush »

Almost finished The Truth About Delilah Blue by Tish Cohen. I don't care for any of the characters and the story is boring, but I'm going to finish.

Next up is The Gallery of Vanished Husbands.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I'm still working on Double Down. I thought I would have a shit ton of time to read over Thanksgiving but I didn't. :(
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I'm working on The Best Food Writing of 2012, and it's really great so far. The "Fat, Sugar, and Salt" one from last month's thread was excellent for the most part. It really laid things out pretty starkly regarding the deliberate marketing that happens at food companies, and the fat part was very interesting. It had some very eye-opening moments wrt the dairy marketing in this state.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I'm only 20 pages into The Gallery of Vanished husbands and already feel more for the protagonist than I did in the Truth about Delilah Blue.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Finished On the Banks of Plum Creek. Read On the Shores of Silver Lake. Now I'm on The Long Winter which was always my favorite!

I also started Parasite by Mira Grant. Writing is just meh. Not sure if I will continue. I will give it a bit more time.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Rowan wrote:I also started Parasite by Mira Grant. Writing is just meh. Not sure if I will continue. I will give it a bit more time.
I just picked up Parasite at the library last night. The reviews I read either raved (and more seemed to be raving over her earlier books) or said the writing was pretty slow and boring.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finally finished Double Down. It was excellent.

I also read After Dead by Charlaine Harris. It's a follow up to the ending of the Sookie Stackhouse books - to recap what ended up happening to all the characters - it was terrible and a total money grab. I'm so glad I didn't go out and buy this and just go it from the library.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Still moving through the Little House series. Finished Long Winter and Little Town on the Prairie. These books are so comforting to me which is really what I need right now.

Will probably bring Parasite to hockey tonight. Don't want anyone to think I'm crazy for reading Little House. :)
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Thumbs down on Parasite. I should have stopped but I felt I had gone to far to turn back.

Started Someone Else's Love Story by Joshilyn Jackson. I usually like her books so I'm hopeful. I'm in a bit of a rut of bad books lately.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finished "Zero Day" by David Baldacci, which I quite enjoyed. It was far from being high literature, but it was a page-turning thriller.

Now I'm reading "Matched" by Allie Condie (sp?). I think if I'd read it before the Hunger Games / Divergent / Cinder, I would have loved it, but I'm finding it a bit formulaic. It's still a fun read, though.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished The Gallery of Vanishing Husbands last night. It was good. Not life-changing, but interesting.

I also started The Wonder Spot by Melissa Bank. It's not new or anything (written in 2006) but I remembered liking The Girl's Guide to Hunting and Fishing so I picked it up.
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

Rowan -- The Long Winter is my favorite, too. :)

I just read A Discovery of Witches and was a little disappointed, only because I didn't realize before starting that it was about vampires. Still, the writing was pretty good, and I've ordered the second book, so obviously it wasn't all bad.

A couple of weeks ago I read The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce, and it was FANTASTIC!
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finished "Matched" by Allie Condie (sp?). I'm annoyed, because it didn't really have an ending. It basically felt like "OK, now go buy the sequel".

Just started "Dogfight: How Apple and Google Went to War and Started a Revolution" by Fred Vogelstein. So far it's REALLY fascinating (but I'm only like 20 pages in).
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

I just finished "Confessions of a Prairie Bitch" by Alison Arngrin aka Kellie Olsson from Little House, I really enjoyed it.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Ok, I tried to reread The Hobbit. It didn't go well. I think I made it to page 30 and just couldn't.

So, I'm about halfway though Empty Mansions by Bill Dedman. It's about a reclusive heiress name Hugette Clark. It's good but I'm in the boring ( to me) part where they recap the beginning of her life.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I enjoyed the Wonder Spot although the different sections were a bit disjointed.

Then I read a paperback I acquired from somewhere. It was called The Great Escape and it was by Susa Elizabeth...someone. It prevented me from being bored on the beach but that's about all I can say about it.

I traded it in at the towel hut for a Jodi Piccoult book called The Pact. Halfway through it is exactly what you'd expect from her. I expect marital strife over a child in a court case and then reconciliation.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished the Jodi Picoult book. It was good for the beach.

Now I've got a novel called Sister by Rosamund someone. It's a British suspense novel. I should have it finished tomorrow.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finished Empty Mansions. It was good, but sad in some parts.

I just started The Love Song of Johnny Valentine. It about an 11 year old pop star and how he deals with life. So far it is amusing but I'm not far in.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I finished Night Film. It took me over a MONTH to finish it, so Mellen, I'm sad to report I didn't like it. I actually put it down halfway through and went online looking for spoilers, but then the spoilers got me intrigued and I decided to finish it. I would have liked it if it had been 200 pages shorter. I just thought it dragged and dragged. I also put it down for a few days to read a book about a woman who lost 122 lbs. I think we've established we don't have the same taste in books!

Last night I started Goodnight, Beautiful by Dorothy Koomson.