Light, easy reads?

Moderator: Malanee

Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Light, easy reads?

Post by Bugsy »

With vacation approaching I'm thinking about which books to bring along for light beachtime reading. I really want them to be e-books so that I only have to bring my tablet. Any suggestions? I can search online too, but you guys have such a wealth of reading experience. I trust you more than randoms online too!
Spudd
TH Master

Re: Light, easy reads?

Post by Spudd »

Zero Day by David Baldacci was a police thriller that was light and a page-turner.

Have you read "The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett? If not, it's a historical fiction set in medieval times which is quite entertaining. I really enjoyed it, and it's nice and long too, so perfect for beach reading. I actually read it while on a beach vacation. :)

Along the lines of YA dystopian sci-fi, I've enjoyed the following, and all are quick/easy reads:
The Age of Miracles
The Hunger Games (and the sequels, but the first one is the best)
Divergent
Matched (although the ending is unsatisfying, it feels like the whole book was just a setup for the sequel)
Cinder
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Divergent by Veronica Roth
Cinder by Marissa Meyer
Scarlet by Marissa Meyer
Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan
Wool by Hugh Howey (you might have read this already?)
Wonder by R.J. Palacio (very much YA/middle school, but it's a good read)
The Middlesteins by Jami Attenberg.
Seating arrangements by Maggie Shipstead.
The Family Fang by Kevin Wilson.
The tower, the zoo, and the tortoise by Julia Stuart. (LOVED this book)
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I second The Pillars of the Earth's rec. So good!

Are you sure you wanna take your tablet to the beach? I don't even take my cell because of the sand.

Which genre are you more into?
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

At the beach I tend to go for either "chick-lit" for lack of a better term (Marian Keyes, Emily Giffin, does Maeve Binchy fit in here?)

or a good family saga, usually slightly historical (Penny Vincenzi, Anna Burgh, Lesley Pearse)

or suspense (Linwood Barclay lately).
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Yeah, I'm going to take the tablet. I'll probably mostly use it on the plane, but it'll come with me. We don't sit right ON the beach a whole lot, so it should be ok. And honestly, I'll probably spend most of my time people-watching and staring at the ocean, trying to memorize the experience. :)

Thanks for the list; I don't think I've read any of them! I'll go check 'em out and see what I can get for the tablet. Oh, and I like various genres, but for a vacation I'd look for sci-fi or suspense-type novels.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Well, if you won't be on the beach itself you'll be fine.

Have you read Before I go to Sleep? I loved it and I think it fits the "light, easy and suspense-type" criteria.

I'm not into sci-fi, listen to Mellen.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Well, several of these weren't available through my library, but I was able to get:

Seating Arrangements
Wool Omnibus
and I think the third was the next Sookie Stackhouse book (#9 in the series, I think?)

I actually started Seating Arrangements yesterday...so far it's intriguing. It seems like there will be several interesting characters in it.