March: What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Blush
TH Master

March: What are you reading?

Post by Blush »

I just finished Early Decision by Lacy Crawford. It was really quite good.

Now I have historical fiction by Emma Donoghue called The Sealed Letter.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Re: March: What are you reading?

Post by mellenhead »

I'm just about done with Hollow City, which is the 2nd book in the Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children series. It's quite good and I was able to fall back into the story easily despite reading the first book quite a long time ago.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

mellen, I'm glad you mentioned that because I have Hollow on hold at the library but can't remember the first one. I was debating not picking it up but I guess I will give it a go.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I'm finally back to "I Know This Much is True" by Wally Lamb. I had taken a break because I kept getting library books so I had to prioritize them over this one, which I happen to own. It's really good so far.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Ugh Spudd, that's frustrating! I loved I know this much is true.

I finished Me before You by Jojo Moyes, which I loved, even though the ending was predictable. I'd like to know who was the genius who came up with the idea of that cover. The one with the girl releasing the bird :angrywife Still, best story I've read in a long time.

Then I started Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage by Alice Munro. I've only read the first story so far and found it incredibly boring. Sigh. I'm so not a high-brow literature kind of girl.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I loved that one too, Spudd and Silvia. I keep pestering Jason to read it, because I think he'd enjoy it or at least learn something.

Silvia, I'm glad to hear you liked Me Before You also. It really is a lovely story.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Finished Hollow City - I liked it - the ending sets up for the third book, of course. Rowan, will be curious to hear what you think.

I didn't have anymore library books (the horror! :lol) so I picked a book out of my TBR stack on my bookshelf - Ender's Game. This is one of these books I've always meant to read and haven't. Anyway, I'm about halfway through and it's good! Will have to check out the movie when I'm done (and probably be annoyed by it....)
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I loved Ender's Game. I listened to the audiobook for it, and it was amazing. There are some books where the audiobook really adds something.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Ditto to Spudd a million times over. I'd read the book back in the early 2000s and loved it, and then two summers ago Jason and I listened to it while driving up to far northern WI for a camping trip. It was the first time he'd "read" it. We both thought that the audiobook was just fantastic.

I haven't seen the movie, but yeah it's one of those that I'm very hesitant to watch because it's practically guaranteed to be messed up.

I just started rereading "The Introvert Advantage." It's by a PsyD, but I don't remember her name. I'd found it interesting and helpful when I read it in nursing school, but now that I'm working a "real job" I thought it might be even more applicable.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I gave up on the Sealed Letter. It felt like something I *should* like, being about women's changing roles in society, but it felt too much like a history textbook trying to disguise itself as a novel.

Now I have Justice for Sara by Erica Spindle. ”A brutal tragedy that won't stay in the past. A woman determined to uncover the truth. A killer who will stop at nothing to keep the truth buried. "
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

LOVED Ender's Game. I thought I had the ending figured out and was totally wrong, which is always a nice surprise.

Next up is Grasshopper Jungle. From the reviews I've read, this promises to be a bizarre and interesting book.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I read The Bear on the plane and it was ok. I thought the premise was really interesting so was looking for more I guess. Easy read though.

I'm reading The Martian right now which I'm loving.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I gave up on the Alice Munro after 2 stories. I'm not a fan of short stories, so it's not all the book's fault, but holy boredom. Has anyone else read anything else by her and do you recommend it? I feel bad both for her and for myself for giving up on a Nobel prize winner, but life's too short.

Then I read The Fault in Our Stars. I can understand the appeal with teenagers. With adults, not so much. It was a decent read and I enjoyed it, but it was immensely depressing, the two teenagers did NOT sound like teenagers at all and it was too... commercial. A novel about 2 kids with cancer who fall in love with each other? OF COURSE it would sell like warm rolls! Still, I was too curious to pass it up.

Now I think I'll start the new Mario Vargas Llosa.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

haven't read any of the works you mention, but I also really dislike short stories, so don't feel bad. You like what you like, and that's ok.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Still loving The Martian!
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Rowan, I LOVED The Martian. I've been telling everyone to read it.

Finished Grasshopper Jungle. I swear the author must have been high when he wrote it. I totally enjoyed it though. It's told from the POV of a very horny 16 year old boy that is love with his best friend and his girlfriend and how he's dealing with that as 6ft tall grasshoppers take over his small Iowa town.

I think I'm going to start The Wolf of Wall Street tonight.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Loved The Martian. Best book this year so far.

I'm reading Laura Lippman's latest. I have Hollow City that I should read but not in the mood yet.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

A few days ago I started Rob Delaney's biography. It was good, and about what I expected.

I'm still reading Justice for Sara.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I read After I'm Gone by Laura Lippman. I liked it. I enjoy her stand alone novels. I find series books are only good for so long into a series.

Not sure what's next. I could start Hollow City but it's due on Wed and I'm not sure how far I would get.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I'm about 1/4 of the way into The Wolf of Wall Street. Meh. This seems like one of the few times this would be better as a movie than a book. That is more a reflection of the writing though, I suppose. All the main character does is talk about tits and ass and getting laid like he's 16. I doubt I'll finish it.