I want to read something gripping!

Moderator: Malanee

Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

I want to read something gripping!

Post by Lady Bug »

I have been reading non-fiction books lately and while they're all well and good, I really want to be whisked away by a story. When I read The Kite Runner, I got so wrapped up in it that I would miss my subway stop in the morning - THAT is the type of reading experience I'm looking for next. I have a bunch of books on my list that should fit the bill, but they're all sort of depressing:

A Million Little Pieces by James Frey
Finding Fish by Antwone Fisher
Somebody's Someone by Regina [Don't-Remember-Her-Last-Name]
Jarhead by [That Marine Dude]

Any other recommendations?

Edited to Add - I already own these (and a ton of other unread) books! Not that I'm opposed to buying more, but still.

I'm also thinking of Jennifer Weiner's Goodnight Nobody - I heard the plot wasn't all that, but - as always - her characters are amazing.

Any thoughts?
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

What's that book that Oprah was talking about? It's not the Frey "Oprah's Book Club" book. I think it's called "The Known World"?

She was talking about it one day on her show. She said she was reading it in the middle of the night, and she had to pick up the phone and call the author right then because she was so moved.

I'll try to find the right name...

*EDIT: It is called "The Known World", I'm so smart. :) It's by Edward P. Jones.
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

:cookie
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

I just read a great book but it isnt' exactly uplifting. It was the Lake of Dead Languages or something to that effect.
Malanee
Challenging Vagina

Post by Malanee »

"A Girl Named Zippy" was really good, and uplifting.
Happiness is an inside job.