April!

Moderator: Malanee

Sílvia
Trophy Wife

April!

Post by Sílvia »

I read the new one by Brazilian writer Martha Batalha, but didn't love it like her previous 2, sadly.

Then I started the new Jojo Moyes.
Blush
TH Master

Re: April!

Post by Blush »

I read The Diamond Eye by Kate Quinn, 4 stars.

Then I started Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus. I picked it up yesterday and it's a 2 week loan.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

I really liked Lessons in Chemistry Blush. I'll be curious what you think. Sylvia, I liked the new JoJo Moyes but wasn't my favorite - there's a bit too much suspension in belief needed.

I'm halfway through All That Is Mine I Carry With Me by William Landay. It's good although I was confused with the beginning because I thought it was an author foreword. I'm reading it for a virtual bookclub so I'll be curious to see if I'm the only one that was confused.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Oh, I loved Lessons in Chemistry!

Rowan, I saw that you found the new Jojo only ok. We'll see. I'm only about 50 pages in, but I'm enjoying it. I usually love her stuff. Except for the last one, the one about the horseback library. I found it boring. I also have the new William Landay on my list!
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

It's funny...I thought Defending Jacob was a great story but the writing wasn't all that (I could see him plotting). I really liked the Defending Jacob series which was on Apple. But I'm liking it and it's a book club pick so...
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

What do you mean you could see him plotting? I liked Jacob. Didn't love it, but I do remember the ending, which is more than I can say about 98% of the books I read, so there's that. I haven't seen the show.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

What do you mean you could see him plotting?
Sorry, it's hard to describe and it's one of the few books I felt this way about. I felt that the writing was very heavy handed and I could see where he was going way ahead of time (while at the same time he did surprise me in the end). I felt that it was very much a book that told me what was happening instead of showing me. If you have Apple, I do suggest the series. It was very well done.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I don't have Apple, sadly.

Finished the new Jojo Moyes. I agree, it was just ok, Rowan.

Now I have The Soulmate by Sally Hepworth.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Lessons in Chemistry and I loved it!

Now I have The Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Glad you liked Lessons in Chemistry Blush! It was one of my favorites last year.

Sylvia - I really liked The Soulmate. Hope you enjoy!

I finished Pineapple Street this weekend. Very much a rich people behaving badly book which is fun when you're in the mood.

Next up is Hello Beautiful by Ann Napolitano. Should be good - I really liked her first Dear Edward.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I really liked The Soulmate too, Rowan! She never disappoints.

Blush, glad you liked Lessons in Chemistry! It was one of my favorites last year, too.

Then I started the new Kate Morton, Homecoming. I'm thoroughly enjoying it, as usual, but it's a slow burner, also as usual for her. 560 pages, I'm about 15% in and still don't know much about the plot. Kate Morton is one of the few authors who can do that and not irritate me.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished The Kiss Quotient and it was ok. Then I read Nora Goes Off Script by Anna Monaghan. 4 stars.

Now I have Hook, Line and Sinker by Tessa Bailey.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Hello Beautiful was 5 stars. Wow. Great family drama.

I started Romantic Comedy by Curtis Sittenfeld last night. This has mixed reviews but so far, so good!
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Hook, Line and Sinker was cute.

Now I have The Wise Women by Gina Sorell.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finally finished Homecoming. OMG, it was LONG. I mean, objectively, it's not that long at 560 pages. But it FELT long. It was so, so slow. Chapters and chapters where nothing happens, it's just descriptions of places and mundane details about people's lives. At about 150-200 pages I started to scratch my head thinking "maybe my tastes have changed?" I mean, I've loved every single thing Kate Morton has written. Have social media and modern life in general ruined me for books like this? But I don't think so. I think this one does meander too much. At one point, very close to the end, the main character has an appointment with someone who will reveal something important from the past, something she (and the reader) has been waiting for for 400 pages. You'd think the next chapter would start with them getting right down to the talk, right? You'd be wrong. There are like ten pages describing her drive to this person's office. I'm serious. Needless to say I skimmed through them. Sigh. Her writing's still there, and I'll keep reading her books, but I hope she finds a better editor next time.

Then I started Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke, a classic sci-fi from 1973, because I desperately need a change of scenery.