February!

Moderator: Malanee

Sílvia
Trophy Wife

February!

Post by Sílvia »

I finished Love and Other Human Errors. I liked the first half, but then it went downhill. It really, really needed an editor who at least knew the basics of punctuation.

Then I read I Who Have Never Known Men by Belgian author Jacqueline Harpman. Anyone read that? It's a very unique dystopia. I really enjoyed it, but it's very much not for everyone. Not much happens and it's filled with philosophical musings. It's short (190 pages), yet it took me 5 days to read because it felt so dense. Not hard to understand, but emotionally hard to digest, if that makes sense. Here: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/119 ... _Known_Men
Blush
TH Master

Re: February!

Post by Blush »

I read All The Light We Cannot See. I was prepared to be disappointed and I was, in places, but pleasantly surprised in others.

Now I have The True Love Experiment by Christina Lauren.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Glad you enjoyed All the Light, Blush. I really didn't. I thought it would be up my alley, but found it super draggy. I didn't even finish the TV show.

I'm in a book slump. Help! I started Babel, Rowan, and at first was super excited. Then he got to Oxford and now it seems I'm reading a textbook :? Pages and pages of college lectures. I'm ready to give up :mope I'm on page 179 of 800 (!) of the Brazilian edition.

Then I started The Seven-Year-Slip, but it's also not going super well. Romances are so hit-or-miss for me. I like the writing in this one, but I can't say i'm super excited to pick it up. Sigh. I'm on page 78 (of about 320) or so. We'll see.

I think I'm in the mood for some good memoir or other nonfiction.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

The True Love Experiment was cute.

Now I have The Soulmate by Sally Hepworth.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finished "Scarlet", and it was just OK. Wouldn't really recommend it.

Now I'm reading Doctor Sleep by Stephen King. I'm only like one chapter in, so it's too soon to say whether it's going to be good.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

Sorry I haven't been here all month.

Silvia - sorry that Babel isn't working for you. Maybe the idea of translation is so foreign to me that it's not textbooky to me but that said, it wasn't an book that read itself.

I finished The Women by Kristin Hannah which is her latest release about Vietnam. It was good - happy I read it but can't hold a candle to The Nightingale.

I'm seeing Ariel Lawhon on Thursday so would like to read or at least get halfway through her latest The Frozen River.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Yeah, gave up on Babel :( The Seven-year-slip didn't go anywhere either. Then I started How High we Go in the Dark, which is a dystopia about a plague and seemed up my alley, but I found out it's not really a novel, but a bunch of interconnected short stories. I've read about half of it but don't think I'll finish. Then I read The Last Thing He Told Me and... drumroll, please... I finished it! Go me! Didn't like it much, though :lol Found it a bit boring and like I'd read something similar a million times before, but it was easy enough that I finished it. It helped that I found the audiobook on youtube and listened to it while working out a couple of times, so it went faster. Also, I'm very much NOT an audiobook person. It was ok for a book that I wasn't enjoying much, but if I HAD been enjoying it, I would have preferred reading.

Then I started The Evening and the Morning by Ken Follett, the prequel to The Pillars of the Earth, and I don't want to get my hopes up yet, but I'm *gasp* enjoying it so far! I've only read 64 pages (of 1000), but I was hooked from page 5 or so, so there's hope! Maybe I'm not broken as a reader!
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

Silvia - sometimes when i'm in a "book rut" I will re-read a favorite. Maybe that's an option if The Pillars of the Earth sequel doesn't work for you. I hate it when you can't find something you click with.

Didn't get to read much this weekend. :( I hope I can still get to the author event on Thurs - if not, I'm only out $5.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished The Soulmate. 4 stars.

Then I read Counterfeit by Kristen Chen. 3 stars.

Now I have The Undertow: Scenes From a Slow Civil War by Jeff Sharlet, just to freak me out a bit more than my usual state. :wink: