March!

Moderator: Malanee

Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

March!

Post by Rowan »

I just finished The Frozen River by Ariel Lawhon. Five stars. Wow. It was based on the true story of Martha Ballard who was a midwife in 1800s Maine. This is the author that I was able to see speak and meet this past week. I'm so glad I made it even though it was a bear of a week! It's a tough book with rape/murder but was really good.

Not sure what is next but will def start something else today. Maybe something lighter as a palate cleanser...
Rowan

Re: March!

Post by Rowan »

I read Expiration Dates by Rebecca Serle - it was an ARC but I think it's out this month. I really enjoyed it - it was a smart romance with a twist.

I also inhaled Dixon, Descending by Karen Outen yesterday - one sitting. It was a fiction story about 2 brothers climbing Everest. Really great - more on character development then actual climbing but really interesting. Highly recommend.

I'm trying to hit an ARC on my phone during the week and then a physical book on the weekend to kick out 2 a week. I have Bye Baby or something like that by Carola Lovering next as an ARC.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Haha - it's mid month and nobody else is here!

I read Bye, Baby by Carola Lovering. I thought it was really good! I flew through it on Wednesday.

Next up is The Couple in 5B by Lisa Unger - should be good! I really like Unger.

When I went to pick up books at the library the other day, I made a comment to the librarian about reading less lately because of a new job and she said "I noticed". I said "Really?" and she said yes. That gave me a bit of a smile. :cute
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

The Undertow: Scenes From a Slow Civil War by Jeff Sharlet was FRIGHTENING.

Then I read The Happy Ever After Playlist by Abby Jiminez. Kinda blah but ok.

Now I have Sea of Tranquility by Emily St. John Mandel.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Blush, I LOVED Sea of Tranquility. Hope you do, too!

I finished The Evening and the Morning! I am not broken! :wave It took me 3 weeks because it's 1000 pages long in Portuguese and I rarely read more than 300/week, but hey! I can still read!

Then I started The Women by Kristin Hannah. I'm on page 60 or so and enjoying it so far, but her books are very hit-and-miss for me and I tend to find them melodramatic. I'm particularly wary of this one because it's about the Vietnam war and the military and I'm afraid it'll be one of those books written for and mostly loved by Americans :crystal
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Silvia - I'm interested whether you think The Women was written for Americans. Once you said that I thought...yes it probably was. We have such a frought relationship with Vietnam War. I did like it but...American. ;)

I just finished Lisa Unger's latest - The New Couple in 5B. It was good. I knocked a half a star off for the quick wrap up ending - I hate that. Why would an author work so hard in novel just to rush the ending and oops for good measure, here's a random twist you had no chance in guessing. But glad I read it.

I have an ARC of the latest Sally Hepworth. I like alternating physical over the weekend and digital during the week. I can read the digital a bit in bed without attracting attention from the boys.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Rowan, I was afraid she'd glorify the US role in the war, but so far it's been quite the opposite, she's been critical of it, so that's good. And I'm finding her writing very good, as good as in The Four Winds, which is the only one of her books I've given 5 stars to. She's getting better!

Which Sally Hepworth is that, Darling something? And why do you need to read without attracting attention from the boys?
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

The Sally Hepworth I think is Darling Girls. I have to not draw attention because they are like really annoying puppies that want my attention at all times. Strangely when I'm reading a physical book that means come bother me or want me to watch tv with them. If I'm on my phone, that doesn't attract so much attention. Eyeroll.

I put The Princess of Las Vegas by Chris Boghalian down about 100 pg in. I just didn't care at all about the story, the characters, any of it. Usually if I get 100 pages in I will power through but I just didn't want to. I'm glad I abandoned it and moved to Only If You're Lucky by Stacy Willingham and really liking it.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Rowan I will have to put that Rebecca Serle one on my list; I usually like her stuff.

I loved The Sea of Tranquility. And when I took it back this weekend I dropped it off at the desk, and when I came back the librarian asked how I liked it. She and I both liked Station Eleven but not another one by the same author. So she's going to read it now.

Then I read Falling by Jane Green; I picked it up on a whim before I remembered I grew out of Jane Green. SO CHEESY. I finished it but I rolled my eyes every three pages.

Now I have Mad About You by Mhairi McFarlane. I'm halfway through in a day; much better.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I recently finished Doctor Sleep by Stephen King. I enjoyed it. It's the sequel to The Shining.

I started The Passenger by Cormac McCarthy last night. It's way too early to tell if I'll like it.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Spudd - I haven't read Doctor Sleep yet. Should I do a reread of The Shining first or no need? I remember the gist of the story but haven't read the book in 30+ years (don't even talk to me about the movie!).

Really liking Darling Girls -- I'm 25% in or so.

I was really in the dumps the last few days so took myself out for Thai lunch with the Stacy Willingham yesterday. Thai makes everything better. I have to remember that trick - can't do it regularly but occasionally works.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I don't think you need to re-read The Shining. I didn't, though I did watch the movie about a year ago.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Blush, glad you loved Sea of Tranquility! I find her writing very similar in tone to Lily Brooks-Dalton's. Have you read her stuff?

I finished The Women and it was much better than I'd expected, so yay! But as usual, there were some soap-opera details that I didn't like. Why does she always have to do that?

Then I read a thriller by a Brazilian author that's new to me and it was so, so good. She'd be in the New York Times bestsellers list if she wrote in English, but the poor thing was born in Brazil. She's written several books and has been a professional writer for 10 years, yet I had never even heard of her until a year ago. She works as a ghost writer and that's how she makes most of her money. Anyway, I posted about her book on Instagram and tagged her and she thanked me! Then I asked her a few things about the book that weren't clear to me (because I'm an idiot, not because the book was unclear). So cool!

Then I started a Tess Gerritsen (Vanish.) It's another one in the Rizzoli & Isles series (I read another one in the series earlier this year.) I feel like I should read this series in order to avoid spoilers about the detectives' lives. This is my fifth book from her and it sucked me right in like all the others. I should read them all.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I ended up bailing on The Passenger (Cormac McCarthy). It was too heavy going for me. I switched to "All the Broken Places" by John Boyne. So far I'm really enjoying it (I'm probably like 25% into it).
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Spudd, I loved All the Broken Places! It has one of the best endings ever.