Discussuion Questions for The Painted Drum

Moderator: Malanee

Malanee
Challenging Vagina

Discussuion Questions for The Painted Drum

Post by Malanee »

**Please feel free to add questions!**

First of all, did you like the book? Why or why not?

How did the loss of a child affect the characters in the book?

Why do you think the sister jumped?

Do you think Anoquot's daughter jumped, or did she throw her?

Why do you think the main character was so reluctant to commit to the men in her life?

Was Anaquot a bad mother? What about Ira (the children in the fire)? Why or why not.

Any other comments?
Last edited by Malanee on Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happiness is an inside job.
Malanee
Challenging Vagina

Post by Malanee »

First of all, did you like the book? Why or why not?

I really liked the book. It's not one I would have chosen myself, but I thought she told the story beautifully and I was never bored.

How did the loss of a child affect the characters in the book?

Anoquot "woke up" from the dream of her and her lover. Her husband totally lost it and neglected his son. Her son became an alcoholic and beat his children. The Painted Drum was made and saved other children's lives.

The main character grieved with her mom, who tried to forgive her for her sister's death every day. She was also unable to commit to the men in her life.

Why do you think the sister jumped? I think she did it to punish her father. She didn't jump towards him and I don't think she knew she would die. I think she did it to prove she didn't need him.

Do you think Anoquot's daughter jumped, or did she throw her? I think Anoquot threw her - why else would she feel so guilty?

Why do you think the main character was so reluctant to commit to the men in her life?

I think her dad's hot and cold behavior made her wary of men. Plus, I think she felt an obligation to share her sorrow with her mom and not leave her.

Was Anaquot a bad mother? What about Ira (the children in the fire)? Why or why not.

I think they both were bad and good in their ways. I liked the book, because you could be sympathetic with the mother characters and their lives, even though they did horrible things.

Any other comments? Give this book a try - it's worth it!
Happiness is an inside job.