Did anyone read the Interpreter of Maladies?

Moderator: Malanee

Malanee
Challenging Vagina

Did anyone read the Interpreter of Maladies?

Post by Malanee »

Anyone care to start a discussion? :boog
Last edited by Malanee on Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happiness is an inside job.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I read it, but I have no skill at all in starting discussions. Maybe later on when I have time I can google for some suggested questions on it? :)
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

I have, I think, two stories left? But let the discussion begin!

Which was your favourite story?
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

:cookie
Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Post by Lady Bug »

I haven't read it :(

Would anyone like to lend it to me? :hyper
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Here are some questions I found - we don't have to answer them all or anything, but I thought they might give us some ideas.

1. What kinds of marriage are presented in the stories? One reviewer has written that Lahiri's "subject is not love's failure, ... but the opportunity that an artful spouse (like an artful writer) can make of failure ... " Do you agree or disagree with that assessment?

2. Lahiri has said, "As a storyteller, I'm aware that there are limitations in
communication." What importance in the stories do miscommunication and unexpressed feelings have?

3. In "When Mr. Pirzada Came to Dine," what does the ten-year-old Lilia learn about the differences between life in suburban America and life in less stable parts of the world? What does she learn about the personal consequences of those differences?

4. For Mrs. Sen, "Everything is there" (that is, in India). What instances are there in these stories of exile, estrangement, displacement, and marginality—both emotional, and cultural?

5. What characterizes the sense of community in both the stories set in India and stories set in the U.S.? What maintains that sense, and what disrupts it?

6. Another reviewer has written, "Food in these stories is a talisman, a reassuring bit of the homeland to cling to." How do food and meal preparation maintain links to the characters’ homelands? What other talismans—items of clothing, for example—act as "reassuring bits of the homeland"?

7. The narrator of "The Third and Final Continent" ends his account with the statement, "Still, there are times I am bewildered by each mile I have traveled, each meal I have eaten, each person I have known, each room in which I have slept." In what ways are Lahiri’s characters bewildered?

8. What are the roles and significance of routine and ritual in the stories? What are the rewards and drawbacks of maintaining long-established routines and ritual?

9. In "Interpreter of Maladies," Mr. Kapasi finds it hard to believe of Mr. and Mrs. Das that "they were regularly responsible for anything other than themselves." What instances of selfishness or self-centeredness do you find in these stories?

10. In "Interpreter of Maladies," visitors to Konarak find the Chandrabhaga River dried up, and they can no longer enter the Temple of the Sun, "for it had filled with rubble long ago ..." What other instances and images does Lahiri present of the collapse, deterioration, or passing of once-important cultural or spiritual values?

11. What does Mrs. Sen mean when, looking at the traffic that makes "her English falter," she says to Eliot, "Everyone, this people, too much in their world"? What circumstances of life in both America and India account for people being "too much in their world"?

12. Rather than leave his weekly rent on the piano, the narrator of "The Third and Final Continent" hands it to Mrs. Croft. What similar small acts of kindness, courtesy, concern, or compassion make a difference in people's lives?
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

Lady Bug wrote: Would anyone like to lend it to me? :hyper
I'm sorry, mine was from the library. :bawl

(I think I'm going to get LB a library card for her birthday. ;) )
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

Malanee
Challenging Vagina

Post by Malanee »

Thanks Spudd! I don't have the book in front of me, so lets see what I can answer. I think I'll have to come back to these when I have the book in hand. And to be honest, I missed a lot of they symbolism.

1. What kinds of marriage are presented in the stories? One reviewer has written that Lahiri's "subject is not love's failure, ... but the opportunity that an artful spouse (like an artful writer) can make of failure ... " Do you agree or disagree with that assessment?

I think presents a range of marriages, but I don't get the second part???

2. Lahiri has said, "As a storyteller, I'm aware that there are limitations in
communication." What importance in the stories do miscommunication and unexpressed feelings have?

lack of communication means hurt feelings, settling for less, disappointment, and some pretty funny scenarious.

3. In "When Mr. Pirzada Came to Dine," what does the ten-year-old Lilia learn about the differences between life in suburban America and life in less stable parts of the world? What does she learn about the personal consequences of those differences?

I think at first the life that isn't her reality doesn't seem real. But once she sees/hears the news, it becomes personal because of her relationship w/ Mr. Pirzada

4. For Mrs. Sen, "Everything is there" (that is, in India). What instances are there in these stories of exile, estrangement, displacement, and marginality—both emotional, and cultural?

5. What characterizes the sense of community in both the stories set in India and stories set in the U.S.? What maintains that sense, and what disrupts it?

6. Another reviewer has written, "Food in these stories is a talisman, a reassuring bit of the homeland to cling to." How do food and meal preparation maintain links to the characters’ homelands? What other talismans—items of clothing, for example—act as "reassuring bits of the homeland"?

7. The narrator of "The Third and Final Continent" ends his account with the statement, "Still, there are times I am bewildered by each mile I have traveled, each meal I have eaten, each person I have known, each room in which I have slept." In what ways are Lahiri’s characters bewildered?

8. What are the roles and significance of routine and ritual in the stories? What are the rewards and drawbacks of maintaining long-established routines and ritual?

9. In "Interpreter of Maladies," Mr. Kapasi finds it hard to believe of Mr. and Mrs. Das that "they were regularly responsible for anything other than themselves." What instances of selfishness or self-centeredness do you find in these stories?

10. In "Interpreter of Maladies," visitors to Konarak find the Chandrabhaga River dried up, and they can no longer enter the Temple of the Sun, "for it had filled with rubble long ago ..." What other instances and images does Lahiri present of the collapse, deterioration, or passing of once-important cultural or spiritual values?

11. What does Mrs. Sen mean when, looking at the traffic that makes "her English falter," she says to Eliot, "Everyone, this people, too much in their world"? What circumstances of life in both America and India account for people being "too much in their world"?

12. Rather than leave his weekly rent on the piano, the narrator of "The Third and Final Continent" hands it to Mrs. Croft. What similar small acts of kindness, courtesy, concern, or compassion make a difference in people's lives?
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I also will have to think about these questions later when I have the book.

My favorite story was the one with the power outages. I really liked it. I was not expecting the ending at all, but I liked how she took us there.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

You know, those questions I posted are really too deep for me. I feel like I"m in English class. I guess everyone else feels the same way - cause nobody's answered them except Ruth who took a decent stab.

I love the idea of book club, and that it's getting me to read new and interesting books I might not otherwise have tried, but I'm having trouble with the discussion part of it.
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

Okay well, I'll post a few thoughts.

Here's why I love short stories. I love their endings. I love how you don't need to set up a back story, and explain every detail, and tie it all in a bow at the end. They can just END. They're literally just a "snippet" and there's something I find satisfying about that because you don't expect it, and your mind can go in places that it wouldn't normally go if an author gave everything away.

Enough about me. ;)

I tried to think about which was my favorite story, and I'm not sure. I liked "Mrs. Sen" and I liked... erm... the one about the old lady who swept staircases. I didn't like "Interpreter of Maladies" a whole lot and I'm not sure why. It may just have been the monkeys. LOL

I'm not sure what else to say. I just put "Diary" on hold at the library...

Malanee
Challenging Vagina

Post by Malanee »

I agree Spudd - maybe just reading the books and giving our impressions is enough? I mean - this should be enjoyable, right?