How *carefully* do you decide what to read next?

Moderator: Malanee

Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

How *carefully* do you decide what to read next?

Post by Lady Bug »

I tend to agonize over my choice of what to read because I hate, hate, hate to start something and not finish it. I tend to see what kind of "mood" I'm in - I ask myself: Do I need to be swept away from reality? Do I want to learn more about a social topic? Do I need validation about some sort of issue? It usually takes me a few days to make a decision. (So I read magazines in between my books :P) I am almost always on the mark . . . but I think I went awry last time. I started reading Strapped, but I'm just not in the mood for it right now. So, I'm onto Lakota Woman - I love memoirs . . . cuz you can't argue with a person's individual story. (Unless you're Oprah and you're reading James Frey :giggle )

Blush just said that she'll go by whatever library book is due next. How about you? How do you pick what book to read next?
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

Oh... the things I could say! :nerd

First, I also need to have *just* the right book, which is why I tend read several at once. I have a "travel" book for commuting, because I need to be able to start and stop it a lot. I have a "bedtime" book, because I don't want to have to think too hard right before I go to sleep. I save "heavier" reading for when I can spend 3 hours at once just absorbed in it, etc.

Second, I think it's different with library books, because you know when you take it out that you're going to want to read it soon, so the agonizing will take place for me at the library or bookstore, but once it gets into my house I know I want to read it.

Third, I have no problem putting down a book for a while. I mean, I hate when a book is so crappy that I refuse to finish it, that feels like such wasted time! But sometimes there's a book that I know I want to read, but it's too dense to get through in one blow. (Pickwick Papers, I'm looking at you!) So, I just put it down for a while, and read something else knowing I can return to it later.

Fourth... I love books! If I could marry them, I would! :lol
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

:cookie
Malanee
Challenging Vagina

Post by Malanee »

I'm already married to them Crystal. :nerd

I'm usually reading 2-3 books at a time. I try to read my library books first. I usually have one at work and two at home, one of which is usually non-fiction. Right now it is "Work as a Spiritual Practice" and "In the Shadow of the Giant" (just finished) at home and The Wind-up Chronicle at work.

That reminds me, I need to return some library books!
Happiness is an inside job.
Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Post by Lady Bug »

Malanee wrote:
I'm usually reading 2-3 books at a time. I try to read my library books first. I usually have one at work and two at home, one of which is usually non-fiction. Right now it is "Work as a Spiritual Practice"
How is that? It sounds like it might help me as well!
Malanee
Challenging Vagina

Post by Malanee »

Lady Bug wrote:
Malanee wrote:
I'm usually reading 2-3 books at a time. I try to read my library books first. I usually have one at work and two at home, one of which is usually non-fiction. Right now it is "Work as a Spiritual Practice"
How is that? It sounds like it might help me as well!
It's got a Buddhist bent to it, but you might still like it. :dunno
Happiness is an inside job.