What are you reading? (May 2006)

Moderator: Malanee

Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

What are you reading? (May 2006)

Post by Lady Bug »

It's May! And the birthday month of a certain insect we all know and love :yay :lb :yay

So, what are you reading right now?

I am reading Suze Orman's Money Book for the Young, Fabulous, and Broke.
aly
Inventor of the Post-It! ...note.

Post by aly »

It's my birth month too. And Anna's! And maybe Ashley's too?

:yay

I'm listening to 102 Minutes about the Twin Towers. It's really interesting.

I just finished Confessions of a Video Vixen about a rap video ho and I probably finished it in 2 days, quickest I've read a book in a long time! :whew I also just finished listening to Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close and it was good.
Last edited by aly on Tue May 02, 2006 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Post by Lady Bug »

Oh, I didn't know it was y'alls birthday month, too! That will have to be a separate post!

Did you like the Confessions of a video vixen book? I've been meaning to listen to it on audio . . . because I refuse to actually be seen reading the book. *lol*
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I'm reading "The Broker" by John Grisham. I bought it at the airport last week, then when I got home I discovered DH already owned it. Oops. Anyways, it's pretty good. It started off slow but things are getting exciting now.

Oh, and I'm listening to "A Confederacy of Dunces". I forget who it's by. So far I'm not in love with it, I'm hoping it'll pick up.
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

Lady Bug wrote:Oh, I didn't know it was y'alls birthday month, too
"y'alls"? Oh, my sensitive grammatical instinct. There's only ONE of Aly, and LB you're from Maryland. :rofl

Ahem... I'm still reading "The Way the Crow Flies"... it's a big book. I also read "Persepolis", which was a really well done graphic novel about a young Arab girl.
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

:cookie
Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Post by Lady Bug »

Crystal Meth wrote:
Lady Bug wrote:Oh, I didn't know it was y'alls birthday month, too
"y'alls"? Oh, my sensitive grammatical instinct. There's only ONE of Aly, and LB you're from Maryland. :rofl
Actually I'm from Connecticut! But, my momma's family is from South Carolina so :talktohand

And, Aly said that its not only her blurfday, but Anna's and maybe Ashley's too! :booty
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

Doesn't matter, I plan to forget all your birthdays anyway. *grudge holder* :huffy

So anyway, about books... :giggle
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

:cookie
aly

Post by aly »

Lady Bug wrote:Did you like the Confessions of a video vixen book? I've been meaning to listen to it on audio . . . because I refuse to actually be seen reading the book. *lol*
I read it in 2 days, so it was good enough that I couldn't put it down! I really just wanted the celeb dirt about who all she slept/messed with.

Usher, Jay-Z, Bobby Brown, Xzibit, Ja Rule, DMX, among others...

As for the writing quality, it's okay...lacks depth, is a little disjointed in its flow and I found a few errors. It should've been edited better!
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

I just bought

Holy Blood, Holy Grail (do'ntknow who wrote it)

and also

Deception Point (by Dan Brown)
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I finished The Piano Tuner, which bored me to tears ( I even finished it in 2 100-page sittings. I hate to do that, I usually like to savor my books, but I just wanted to get it over with), and now I'm reading When Nietzsche Wept, and loving it!
Marie
TH Master

Post by Marie »

Wow Anna, "Holy Blood, Holy Grail" is pretty heavy. You'll have to tell me if you like it.

I just finished "Trading Up" by the same author as "SATC" it was good brain candy as our projector bulb burned out so I had no tv Saturday morning until Jeff got up.

Now though I've started the Peanut's blanket so I doubt I'll be reading much.
aly

Post by aly »

Lady Bug wrote: because I refuse to actually be seen reading the book. *lol*
Oh yeah, I was a little embarrassed to carry it around. I tried to hide the cover cause she's all sprawled out (on both front and back covers) but I wasn't reading it for too long so I survived. :lol
Malanee
Challenging Vagina

Post by Malanee »

Don't forget my birthday Crystal! :nervous

Sister of My Heart by Divakaruni- about two cousins living in Calcutta.

Atonement by Ian McEwan - I can't get into it. I'm not really sure what it is about, 'cept this girl who likes to write stories.

I'm also reading a PD James novel that's quite good to my suprise. She does formula mystery.

I just finished Junky by William S. Burroughs. Crazy stuff!
Happiness is an inside job.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I really like PD James. I went through a huge phase where I read tons of her books. I haven't read her in years, maybe I should look for another one.
Malanee
Challenging Vagina

Post by Malanee »

Spudd wrote:I really like PD James. I went through a huge phase where I read tons of her books. I haven't read her in years, maybe I should look for another one.
Same here - but I got burnt out a bit. But coming back to it after many years was kind of fun. Of course, I've lost my book, so I'm super sad.
Malanee
Challenging Vagina

Post by Malanee »

I just got a bunch of books from the library! :woo

Last night I read the latest Mallory Mystery called The Winter House. I've got the new mysterday by Harlan Coben The Innocent. I also borrowed History of Love, The Confessions of Max Tivoli, Book nine of the Evanovich novels about Stephani Plum, a female bounty hunter; and another mystery called Paradise Lost.

Plenty of reading for all my vacations this month!
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

I just finished "Light on Snow" by Alice Sebold. I really liked it - I'll have to check out others by her.

I have to look at my pile to see what is next. :eat
aly

Post by aly »

I finished 102 Minutes on audio and started Odd Girl Out on Audio, but it's been difficult to get into. It's pretty dry and reads sorta like a psych textbook. At least that's how it has been so far. I'm hoping it'll pick up.

In print I'm reading The Confessions of Max Tivoli. Ruth, have you finished it yet? :hyper I like it a lot so far....it's good pumping reading. :giggle
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

I'm about to order a book written by our old CO's wife called AWOL: THe unexplained absences of the Upper Classes in America's military and how it's hurting our country. Should go great with HOly Blood, Holy Grail which is hard to read. So they'll both be hard to read.
Malanee
Challenging Vagina

Post by Malanee »

I haven't started Max Tivoli yet. 'tonio gave me two books for my birthday and I finished one, called The Ice Queen. It was really good. I'm now reading Towelhead, which I'm finding very sad.

Max Tivoli is next on my list!