Moderator: Malanee

Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

What are you reading? (June 2006)

Post by Lady Bug »

It's that time!

Whatcha readin?

I'm reading two things right now -

Shifting: The Double Lives of Black Women in America. It's based on interviews with and surveys of a total of 400+ black women of varying ages, economic status, education, etc. It's really good in that I find myself identifying with a lot of what is being said. But, it's also a little depressing . . . .

I just bought Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. I read an excerpt in O magazine not too long ago and I haven't been able to get the book out of my mind. I think I'm really going to enjoy it!
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

I just read a book called AWOL: The Unexcused Absence of America's Upper Class From Military Service -- And How it Hurts Our Country

It was written by Eric's last bosses wife. It really raises some interesting concerns and issues. The people who wrote it are both from the Upper Class, Kathy has worked for a billionaire and President Clinton and married into the Marine Corps. The man who wrote with her is a wealthy writer who was appalled when his youngest son decided to be a Marine. It's interesting to see their views completely change. Kathy is probably the only other Democrat I know here :).

Anyway, now I'm back to Holy Blood, Holy Grail and hopefully I can get through page 100
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I'm still reading Life of Pi, I'm about halfway through now. I love it so far!

In the car I'm still listening to A Confederacy of Dunces.
aly
Inventor of the Post-It! ...note.

Post by aly »

Just finished listening to Dress Your Family...now listening to At First Sight by Nicolas Sparks and Freakonomics.

Reading The Sociopath Next Door in print.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I'm reading Company by Max Barry and I can't put it down. It's a funny/disturbing look at corporate life.
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

I'm reading The Broke Diaries which :lb lent me. It's funny! It's about all the ways a poor college student tried to survive with no money. She's quite resourceful. :giggle
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

:cookie
Marie
TH Master

Post by Marie »

I'm about at the end of all my pregnancy/birth books so I'm about to order two "taking care of your newborn" books and three books on the vaccination debate.

Very exciting.
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

Three books on the vaccination debate alone?? Don't you think one would about cover it? :headscratch
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

Marie
TH Master

Post by Marie »

Well you gotta get different opinions and such. It is a big decision and I don't want to read just one book (which means just one view/opinion) and make my decision based solely on that author's beliefs.
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

But one book isn't necessarily only one author's opinion, especially when it's of a medical nature. It usually cites several studies and takes different points of view for a well-rounded argument. That's why I thought it was weird to get three, they will probably have much the same information. Get one first, and if it doesn't answer your question then order the other two.

Or just do what you want, of course, and say "shut up Crystal" :lol

Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I think for the vaccination debate you can expect the author of any book to be biased in one direction or the other. I can totally see getting 2 books, one pro and one con, and then taking both their viewpoints into account.
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

Don't mind me at all, I'm probably just in awe of people who can afford to buy three books... :lol

Marie
TH Master

Post by Marie »

Well even from all my natural birthing books - the perspective of the author determines what info is in the book - and the tone it is presented in. I found reading several really helped to get complete info - where if I had just read one I think I would have missed out.
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

Did you read "What to Expect when You're Expecting"? Because I have heard several people say that's just 300 pages of paranoia...

Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

What to Expect is paranoid and has some advice that is incorrect in it as well.

Marie, vaccination debate definitely needs at least two books, because for hte most part they are all biased. So are most parenting books so you just read it and take what works for you and leave the rest :)
Malanee
Challenging Vagina

Post by Malanee »

I'm readomg Max Tivoli, Aphorisms, and a thriller called Paradise lost.
Happiness is an inside job.
aly

Post by aly »

I finished listening to Freakonomics (really interesting!) and now am reading Jenna Jameson's autobiography which is really interesting and sad. :(
Malanee
Challenging Vagina

Post by Malanee »

I lost my Max Tivoli book. :crying

I've read the second book written by the guy who wrote the alcheimest, this awesome thriller called Maximum Drive and now I'm reading The Mystic Masseur.
Happiness is an inside job.
aly

Post by aly »

I finished the Jenna Jameson autobiography (couldn't put it down!!) and now I'm listening to At First Sight by Nicholas Sparks. Has anyone read it? So far so good...
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

I just got two books

Now I'm reading My Sisters Keeper