What are you reading now? (July 2006)

Moderator: Malanee

Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

What are you reading now? (July 2006)

Post by Crystal Meth »

I started the new topic! :smug

I'm reading Hey Nostradamus right now. People? Douglas Coupland is brilliant.
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

:cookie
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I love Douglas Coupland. I'm pretty sure I read Hey Nostradamus, but I completely can't remember what it was about any more.

I'm reading "Lunar Descent" by Allen Steele. It's a sci fi. It's pretty good.
Stacy
Assless Chaps

Post by Stacy »

I am reading Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier. I couldn't get through it last time because the main female character was too annoying.
Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Post by Lady Bug »

Stacy wrote:I am reading Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier. I couldn't get through it last time because the main female character was too annoying.
That is one of those books I was supposed to read in high school, but never did. The parts I did read (the first few chapters) I liked, though.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I'm reading Man of My Dreams by Curtis Sittenfield. So far the main character is reminding me of the girl in Prep, simply because she's a loner and a little weird. But I can relate to that, so I'm liking the book.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Stacy wrote:I am reading Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier. I couldn't get through it last time because the main female character was too annoying.
Really? I loved it as a teenager and read it again at age 33 and still loved it. The ending seems to piss some people off, but I won't spoil it for you.

As for me, I'm *still* reading The Historian. It's been like 6 weeks! I like parts of it, others bore me to tears, that's why it's taking me so long.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I think I'm going to start reading Marley & Me, but I have to read it at home alone. I just know bad stuff will happen to the dog in the book and I'll cry like a big baby and Jeff will laugh at me. Also, not cool to cry on the train to/from work!
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

IM reading the ever exciting

Templars and Assassins and a boook about how some of Modern medicine came to be and how it was considered so outrageous at the time it was invented/discovered
Stacy
Assless Chaps

Post by Stacy »

I finished Rebecca this morning on the bus. Overall, I liked it, but the female protagonist still drove me nuts. :lol
Rachael
My bee is in the hive

Post by Rachael »

Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I just finished listening to "Oracle Night" - weird, but good.

Now I just started listening to "Everything is Illuminated". So far it's cracking me up. Aly, if you haven't read this, you should get the audiobook. The narrator for the Ukrainian parts has Bo's accent. And it's really funny.
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

Spudd, Everything is Illuminated is one of my all-time top ten books. It's FANTASTIC!!
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

:cookie
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I'm reading Oh My Stars by Lorna Landvik. It's set in the depression and follows a misfit girl on a weird adventure with some other characters. This writer sort of reminds me of Fannie Flagg, but slightly less funny.
aly
Inventor of the Post-It! ...note.

Post by aly »

I'm listening to Shopaholic takes Manhattan. Hilarious!
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Spudd wrote:I just finished listening to "Oracle Night" - weird, but good.
Oooh, I LOVED Oracle Night! I really need to read his other books.

I'm reading a book called Atlas of Human Geography by a Spanish writer called Almudena Grandes. I've looked it up on amazon, and although it has a title in English, they only have the book in Spanish. Weird. I don't know it it's been translated. Anyway, it's about the trials and tribulations of 4 women in their 30's in Madrid (but it has NOTHING to do with chick lit). They work for a publishing house organizing said Atlas. Good stuff :awesome
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

Ok Now I'm reading The Gift of Fear by GAvin Debecker and working on Templars and Assassins
aly

Post by aly »

Finished Shopaholic Takes Manhattan and starting Baby Proof by Emily Giffin.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finished Marley & Me - good book but I cried through the last 4 chapters!

Now I'm reading Jenna Jameson's autobiography since Aly has raved about it. It's a thick book so I thought it would last me awhile, but it's REALLY good and I'm almost done with it.

I think my next book is going to be Anthony Bourdain's The Nasty Bits.
aly

Post by aly »

mellenhead wrote: Now I'm reading Jenna Jameson's autobiography since Aly has raved about it. It's a thick book so I thought it would last me awhile, but it's REALLY good and I'm almost done with it.
:yay

I finished Baby Proof and really liked it, even though it was the abriged audio. I am reading Maybe Baby in print, a collection of essays from people describing why or why not they want/don't want to or have had children...(if that makes sense) and others that are undecided. It's really interesting so far. It's by the writers of Salon.com magazine.

I'm listening to Shopaholic ties the Knot but I might have to return it since it has a hold.