New Book Club Poll!

Moderator: Malanee

Malanee
Challenging Vagina

New Book Club Poll!

Post by Malanee »

Okay peeps - I'm doing another book club poll so we can see what else is out there. Does that sound good?

I say we each suggest two books and provide a description of the book, and if time, why it would be good to share. Then we'll vote to find the order we'll read them in.

If anyone else has suggestions - let me know!
Happiness is an inside job.
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

I may be cheating because I've read these already :giggle , but I need to spread the joy so:

Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer:
With only a yellowing photograph in hand, a young man -- also named Jonathan Safran Foer -- sets out to find the woman who may or may not have saved his grandfather from the Nazis. Accompanied by an old man haunted by memories of the war; an amorous dog named Sammy Davis, Junior, Junior; and the unforgettable Alex, a young Ukrainian translator who speaks in a sublimely butchered English, Jonathan is led on a quixotic journey over a devastated landscape and into an unexpected past.

Jonathan Safran Foer was born in 1977. He is the editor of A Convergence of Birds, and his stories have been published in The Paris Review and The New Yorker. This is his first novel, which appeared on Best Books of 2002 lists internationally, won several literary prizes, including the National Jewish Book Award and The Guardian First Book Award, and has been published in twenty-four countries.

A Complicated Kindness by Miriam Toews:
Sixteen-year-old Nomi Nickel longs to hang out with Lou Reed and Marianne Faithfull in New York City’s East Village. Instead she’s trapped in East Village, Manitoba, a small town whose population is Mennonite: “the most embarrassing sub-sect of people to belong to if you’re a teenager.” East Village is a town with no train and no bar whose job prospects consist of slaughtering chickens at the Happy Family Farms abattoir or churning butter for tourists at the pioneer village. Ministered with an iron fist by Nomi’s uncle Hans, a.k.a. The Mouth of Darkness, East Village is a town that’s tall on rules and short on fun: no dancing, drinking, rock ’n’ roll, recreational sex, swimming, make-up, jewellery, playing pool, going to cities or staying up past nine o’clock.

As the novel begins, Nomi struggles to cope with the back-to-back departures three years earlier of Tash, her beautiful and mouthy sister, and Trudie, her warm and spirited mother. She lives with her father, Ray, a sweet yet hapless schoolteacher whose love is unconditional but whose parenting skills amount to benign neglect. Father and daughter deal with their losses in very different ways. Ray, a committed elder of the church, seeks to create an artificial sense of order by reorganizing the city dump late at night. Nomi, on the other hand, favours chaos as she tries to blunt her pain through “drugs and imagination.” Together they live in a limbo of unanswered questions.

Nomi’s first person narrative shifts effortlessly between the present and the past. Within the present, Nomi goes through the motions of finishing high school while flagrantly rebelling against Mennonite tradition. She hangs out on Suicide Hill, hooks up with a boy named Travis, goes on the Pill, wanders around town, skips class and cranks Led Zeppelin. But the past is never far from her mind as she remembers happy times with her mother and sister — as well as the painful events that led them to flee town. Throughout, in a voice both defiant and vulnerable, she offers hilarious and heartbreaking reflections on life, death, family, faith and love.

Eventually Nomi’s grief — and a growing sense of hypocrisy — cause her to spiral ever downward to a climax that seems at once startling and inevitable. But even when one more loss is heaped on her piles of losses, Nomi maintains hope and finds the imagination and willingness to envision what lies beyond.

Few novels in recent years have generated as much excitement as A Complicated Kindness. Winner of the Governor General’s Award and a Giller Prize Finalist, Miriam Toews’s third novel has earned both critical acclaim and a long and steady position on our national bestseller lists. In the Globe and Mail, author Bill Richardson writes the following: “There is so much that’s accomplished and fine. The momentum of the narrative, the quality of the storytelling, the startling images, the brilliant rendering of a time and place, the observant, cataloguing eye of the writer, her great grace. But if I had to name Miriam Toews’s crowning achievement, it would be the creation of Nomi Nickel, who deserves to take her place beside Daisy Goodwill Flett, Pi Patel and Hagar Shipley as a brilliantly realized character for whom the reader comes to care, okay, comes to love.”
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

:cookie
Malanee
Challenging Vagina

Post by Malanee »

I'm going to suggest:

Mallory's Oracle
Paperback - mystery/thriller

The first Mallory book hinges on solving the murder of Mallory's father, Louis Markowitz: Mallory has a personal interest in the crime, as in other novels of the series. In this case that personal interest—catching the killed of Markowitz—overshadows the main plot, a series of killings of elderly women.

I'm suggesting this, because I've never read the first of the 5 Mallory novels, but the three I have read have been fabulous and fun!

The solace of Leaving Early

A romance evolves in the wake of a domestic shooting in Kimmel's intelligent and compassionate debut novel, which brings two friends of one of the victims together in a small Indiana town. Amos Townsend is the male protagonist, a 40-ish preacher who counseled the late Alice Baker-Maloney as her frayed marriage degenerated into a fatal confrontation with her controlling husband, Jack. Amos remains tormented by his attraction to Alice and his inability to have prevented the tragedy. Meanwhile, bookish Langston Braverman has returned home after dropping out of her Ph.D. program following an affair with an academic colleague and subsequent nervous breakdown. The two clash after Langston's mother, AnnaLee, orders her to abandon her literary projects to care for Alice's two orphaned daughters; Amos accuses Langston of being unfit for the job when both girls continue to exhibit a bizarre variety of compulsive, religiously oriented behaviors. The girls' crisis continues to escalate, leading to a series of melodramatic scenes in which Amos and Langston are forced to confront their own demons. There are some winning moments as the protagonists move toward a romance, although things are hindered somewhat by the sluggish pace in the early going, as Kimmel (A Girl Named Zippy) meanders through scenes detailing smalltown Midwestern life and as she delves into the pasts of the two leads. Still, she proves a wise, compassionate and often very witty storyteller whose affection for her characters is contagious.

This is by the author of one of my favorite books, A Girl named Zippy, so I really want to read it!
Malanee
Challenging Vagina

Post by Malanee »

I tried to read Everything is illuminated, but couldn't get into it. Should I try again?

The second one looks really good...
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I'm currently listening to Everything is Illuminated on audiobook and loving it. It cracks me up.
Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Post by Lady Bug »

I will recommend two books that I want to read and plan on reading soon:

Not Buying It: My Year Without Shopping by Judith Levine. The author basically gives up purchasing anything other than "necessities" for one year. This book was featured on Oprah during the Debt Diet series. I'm definitely interested in reading this as I myself am trying to spend less.

A Piece of Cake: A Memoir by Cupcake Brown. It's the memoir of a woman who grows up poor, loses her parents at an early age, turns to drugs and prostitution, but ultimately ends up turning her life around and becoming a lawyer with one of the largest firms in the world. (You can see her firm bio here: http://www.bingham.com/bingham/attorney ... p?aid=1861. Watch out, though - her smile is straight Kool Aid in that shot! *lol*)
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

Malanee wrote:I tried to read Everything is illuminated, but couldn't get into it. Should I try again?
Words can't even express how much I love this book. The first chapter or two I was like "Okay, I think he's trying too hard to be pretentious. What's going on here?" then later I was like "Brilliant... just... wow. Brilliant."

:awesome
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

:cookie
aly
Inventor of the Post-It! ...note.

Post by aly »

I just put a bunch on hold from this list:

Best Books of 2005 (Amazon)

A few from that list I'm interested in:

The Year of Magical Thinking
When all the ballots were in, our choice for the best book of 2005 turned out to be the one we'd expected, the one we'd been passing among ourselves, accompanied by the word, "Wow," for the past few months. And the rest of the reading world seems to agree: The Year of Magical Thinking, Joan Didion's searingly exact account of a daughter's illness, a husband's sudden death, and a wife and mother's bewildering grief, is becoming an instant classic, one of the greatest books by one of the best writers we have. Read the rest of our top 50 books of the year below, and see our Best of 2005 Store for more editors' picks and customers' favorites in dozens of categories.

I read this one: Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
Jonathan Safran Foer

Oskar Schell, hero of this brilliant follow-up to Foer's bestselling Everything Is Illuminated, is a nine-year-old amateur inventor, jewelry designer, astrophysicist, tambourine player and pacifist. Like the second-language narrator of Illuminated, Oskar turns his naïvely precocious vocabulary to the understanding of historical tragedy, as he searches New York for the lock that matches a mysterious key left by his father when he was killed in the September 11 attacks, a quest that intertwines with the story of his grandparents, whose lives were blighted by the firebombing of Dresden.

Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life
Amy Krouse Rosenthal

"I have not survived against all odds. I have not lived to tell. I have not witnessed the extraordinary. This is my story."

Amy Krouse Rosenthal, one-time Might magazine columnist and self-confessed hater of the segue has written a snappy, random, remarkable memoir--the first of its kind to give readers an honest flaws-n-all perspective of what it's like to be...ordinary.

Oh the Glory of It All
Sean Wilsey

"A memoir, at its heart, is written in order to figure out who you are," writes Sean Wilsey, and indeed, Oh the Glory of it All is compelling proof of his exhaustive personal quest. It's no surprise that as a kid in the '80s, Wilsey found similarities between his own life and his beloved Lord of the Rings and Star Wars--his journey was fraught with unnerving characters too.

Never Let Me Go (Alex Awards (Awards))
Kazuo Ishiguro

All children should believe they are special. But the students of Hailsham, an elite school in the English countryside, are so special that visitors shun them, and only by rumor and the occasional fleeting remark by a teacher do they discover their unconventional origins and strange destiny. Kazuo Ishiguro's sixth novel, Never Let Me Go, is a masterpiece of indirection. Like the students of Hailsham, readers are "told but not told" what is going on and should be allowed to discover the secrets of Hailsham and the truth about these children on their own.

The History of Love: A Novel
Nicole Krauss

Nicole Krauss's The History of Love is a hauntingly beautiful novel about two characters whose lives are woven together in such complex ways that even after the last page is turned, the reader is left to wonder what really happened. In the hands of a less gifted writer, unraveling this tangled web could easily give way to complete chaos. However, under Krauss's watchful eye, these twists and turns only strengthen the impact of this enchanting book.

The Tender Bar: A Memoir
J.R. Moehringer

"Long before it legally served me, the bar saved me," asserts J.R. Moehringer, and his compelling memoir The Tender Bar is the story of how and why. A Pulitzer-Prize winning writer for the Los Angeles Times, Moehringer grew up fatherless in pub-heavy Manhasset, New York, in a ramshackle house crammed with cousins and ruled by an eccentric, unkind grandfather. Desperate for a paternal figure, he turns first to his father, a DJ whom he can only access via the radio (Moehringer calls him The Voice and pictures him as "talking smoke").

On Beauty
Zadie Smith

n an author's note at the end of On Beauty, Zadie Smith writes: "My largest structural debt should be obvious to any E.M. Forster fan; suffice it to say he gave me a classy old frame, which I covered with new material as best I could." If it is true that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, Forster, perched on a cloud somewhere, should be all puffed up with pride. His disciple has taken Howards End, that marvelous tale of class difference, and upped the ante by adding race, politics, and gender. The end result is a story for the 21st century, told with a perfect ear for everything: gangsta street talk; academic posturing, both British and American; down-home black Floridian straight talk; and sassy, profane kids, both black and white.

1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus
Charles C. Mann

1491 is not so much the story of a year, as of what that year stands for: the long-debated (and often-dismissed) question of what human civilization in the Americas was like before the Europeans crashed the party. The history books most Americans were (and still are) raised on describe the continents before Columbus as a vast, underused territory, sparsely populated by primitives whose cultures would inevitably bow before the advanced technologies of the Europeans.

Saturday
Ian McEwan

In the predawn sky on a Saturday morning, London neurosurgeon Henry Perowne sees a plane with a wing afire streaking toward Heathrow. His first thought is terrorism--especially since this is the day of a public demonstration against the pending Iraq war. Eventually, danger to Perowne and his family will come from another source, but the plane, like the balloon in the first scene of Enduring Love, turns out to be a harbinger of a world forever changed.

The Historian
by Elizabeth Kostova

f your pulse flutters at the thought of castle ruins and descents into crypts by moonlight, you will savor every creepy page of Elizabeth Kostova's long but beautifully structured thriller The Historian. The story opens in Amsterdam in 1972, when a teenage girl discovers a medieval book and a cache of yellowed letters in her diplomat father's library. The pages of the book are empty except for a woodcut of a dragon. The letters are addressed to: "My dear and unfortunate successor."
Malanee
Challenging Vagina

Post by Malanee »

1. Mallory's Oracle
2. A Piece of Cake

I did read Everything is illuminated and liked it a lot. I LOVED the movie!
Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Post by Lady Bug »

My Votes
1. Not Buying It
2. On Beauty

:awesome
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

My top 2:

Never Let Me Go (Alex Awards (Awards))
Kazuo Ishiguro

Mallory's Oracle
aly
Inventor of the Post-It! ...note.

Post by aly »

Lady Bug wrote:Watch out, though - her smile is straight Kool Aid in that shot! *lol*)
:lmao

1. Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life
Amy Krouse Rosenthal

2. Saturday
Ian McEwan
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Never let me Go is on my list. I have it already. And I've read The History of Love and The Historian recently, so I can discuss those, too.