Bored with my book . . .

Moderator: Malanee

Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Bored with my book . . .

Post by Lady Bug »

I'm about 50-80 pages from finishing my current book. (It's a "self-help" book about business/work habits.) I've been really into it for the past month or so . . . but now I'm just getting sick of it. I am going to finish it because I'm at the part that can actually help me *lol* but I'm so frustrated that I'm not "into it" like I was before.

Once I finish this book I'm definitely going to switch gears. I think I may read a novel next. :think

How do you guys handle it when you "hit a wall" with certain books? Stop reading? Push through? Come back to it a few days/weeks later?
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I prolong the agony. I read 3-5 pages a day until I'm done. But that's if I'm close to the end. It happened when I was reading A Fine Balance. I read until page 600 or so and then got sick and tired of it. If I hate a book too much from the beginning, I just quit after 80-100 pages. Life's too short for bad books!
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

Silvia, we're the exact opposite!

If I really love a book, I drag it out. You only get one first chance to discover something really fantastic. (You can reread it of course, but it's just not the same.)

If it's a crappy book, I try to blow through it, mostly skimming. There's a couple I gave up on altogether.

Then, there's a couple books that I'm determined to read just to say I have, even if I don't really like them. Pickwick Papers, you are my Mount Everest... I will conquer you! Proust, you're next!
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

:cookie
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

If I really love a book, I drag it out. You only get one first chance to discover something really fantastic. (You can reread it of course, but it's just not the same.)

If it's a crappy book, I try to blow through it, mostly skimming. There's a couple I gave up on altogether.
Oh, I do those things, too. Savor books I love and skim through crappy ones. I drag it out if it's a case like A Fine Balance, where I didn't *dislike* the book, and I wanted to finish it, but was not too excited about it.
Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Post by Lady Bug »

See, when a book is really good, I go through it super-quickly and then get mad/sad when it's over . . . :lol
Malanee
Challenging Vagina

Post by Malanee »

Crystal Meth wrote:Silvia, we're the exact opposite!

Then, there's a couple books that I'm determined to read just to say I have, even if I don't really like them. Pickwick Papers, you are my Mount Everest... I will conquer you! Proust, you're next!
:ditto

I'm a big skimmer, if the book isn't really grabbing me and I feel no guild in giving up on a book. There are so many good boos to read, I don't want to waste my time!!!
Happiness is an inside job.