It's November!

Moderator: Malanee

Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

It's November!

Post by Lady Bug »

Whatcha readin???

Edited to add -- I am in between books right now . . . .
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I'm reading not one, but TWO chick lit novels. Shame on me! I started The Other Side of the Story by Marian Keyes, then I started reading bits of Goodnight Nobody by Jennifer Weiner. I usually read one book at a time, but I started Goodnight at a bookstore in Toronto one day, then another day I read a little more, then when I was leaving Canada I ended up buying it at the airport!

I'm enjoying both.
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

I just picked up two today

The Black DAhlia and

Conversations with the Fat Girl
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

I'm reading "The Joys of Much too Much" which is about having it all in life, and I'm feeling "enh" about it. :grumble
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

:cookie
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I just picked up "The Lincoln Lawyer" at the airport. It's okay. Standard lawyer thriller type thing.
Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Post by Lady Bug »

Crystal Meth wrote:I'm reading "The Joys of Much too Much" which is about having it all in life, and I'm feeling "enh" about it. :grumble
Let me know what you think once you get to the end. I was thinking of reading that also, but it does look a little *too* light and fluffy - even for me! Is it inspiring or at least practical? Or is it just, "My life is SO great! Don't you wish you were me?!?!?"
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

It's not that it's light and fluffy, she does offer some good advice about ignoring your fears and taking chances, and she seems like a smart woman. :dunno

My issue is that she just assumes everyone wants marriage and kids, and you couldn't claim to be happy and "have it all" unless you're married with kids. And again, there's absolutely nothing wrong with marriage and kids, but please don't tell me I *should* have them in order to count in the world, y'know?)
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

I just finished "Confessions of the Fat Girl" it was an easy read and was good. I wish the ending had been one more chapter but it was good none the less.

Now onto "The Black Dahlia"
Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Post by Lady Bug »

I started reading Po Bronson's What Should I Do With My Life? again and I'm enjoying it a lot more than I was previously. I think that putting some distance between my reading and my listening to the audio version helped. (The author's voice and tone were SO annoying.) Fortunately, he only told about 1/4 of the stories in the book in the audio version, so there's loads of new stuff to read. I'm getting a lot out of it!
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I just read After the Rice by Wendy French and it was ok, but not spectacular.

I'm now reading The Definitive Book of Body Language. So far I've only gotten to the handshake part, which is pretty obvious/intuitive.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

It's amazing how many people don't have firm handshakes. When I'm interviewing, I always shake hands with the people and so often it's like shaking hands with a wet fish. I hope I don't shake hands like a wet fish.

I'm reading a collection of short stories by Larry Niven now. I'm enjoying it so far, although the last one I read was a bit of a disappointment.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Spudd, if you notice when other people shake like a wet fish, then it's highly unlikely you do it yourself! Yesterday a candidate came in and gave me a "fingertip shake". He only grabbed my fingers, firmly. It was the oddest thing.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I finished the 2 I was reading. They were both fun, but Goodnight Nobody doesn't have much of an ending, which was frustrating. Plus I'm not sure Weiner did a very good job with the mystery thing. Maybe she should stick to the usual chick lit stuff. But I like her style anyway.

Now I'm reading The Stone Diaries by Carol Shields. Have you guys read it? Crystal? I was a little afraid of it because so many amazon reviewers described it as "terribly dull" or something like that, but I'm enjoying it. So many of them said nothing ever happened in this book. I don't get that. Lots of things happen! These people want a book version of an action movie. What did they expect? car explosions? Note to self for future reference: ignore amazon reviewers.
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

You know what, Silvia? I love Carol Shields, but "The Stone Diaries" is actually not my favourite book of hers. I love "Unless" much more. And I'm actually reading "The Republic of Love" right now, so you and I are in author sync! :high5

So anyway, yes, I am reading "The Republic of Love" and enjoying it. There are lots of Winnipeg references in it. :giggle Her style seems so effortless. She passed away too soon. :(

Did I ever tell you how I got her autograph and lost it? ARGH!!

And yes, always ignore amazon reviewers...

Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Post by Lady Bug »

I love amazon.com reviews . . .
Malanee
Challenging Vagina

Post by Malanee »

I'm still on a sci-fi kick and I just read a collection of short stories entitled The Last Defender of Camelot - which was incredible. Now I'm reading Schism - part one of the Triad series.

I'm also reading The Fabric of the Cosmos, by the author who wrote The Elegant Universe

I finished Mallory's Oracle - which turned out to be excellent. I love that whole series.

I have a sci fi book by Effinger on hold at the library. My online romance recommended it to me.

LB - Po Bronson is on my list of books to read again before January.
Happiness is an inside job.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I started reading some chicklit book about a trip to Rome but the characters were grating on my nerves.

Now I'm reading "Closing Costs" by Seth Margolis. It's very fast paced and entertaining so far.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I've finished Asylum by Patrick McGrath, which I loved, and have just started Never Let me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro, which is supposed to be fantastic, but has a very slow beginning. We'll see.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Closing Costs was great, and then I just finished Piece of Work by Laura Zigman. It's about a woman who's forced to go back to work when her husband loses his job. She had been a stay at home mom to their toddler and then they reverse roles. It was pretty funny.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finished my Larry Niven book of short stories (which was excellent, btw) and now I'm reading "Cause Celeb" by Helen Fielding. So far, it's pretty good.